AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedules - door schedules mainly

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Jleibold
2275 Views, 9 Replies

Schedules - door schedules mainly

Hello All,
I have a question for all of you...We have the conflict in our office of how schedules are to be created. Currently they are set up to have the door mark be the same as the room number. That works fine for some of us, but when you have 20 different rooms with the same door & the only thing different is the room number, you get 20 lines in the schedule, only the room is different. Or we have the option of having a door number type & use that when there are multiple rooms for the same door. Is there any way to have it so you have one door type but have one cell in the schedule to have the multiple rooms info in it , so for example you have door #1 row in the schedule & in the next cell have room numbers 110, 210, 310, etc.automatically, taking the human factor out of it (meaning manually inputing the room numbers.) We have schedules that are extremely large because we have several floors with the same door & the only difference is the floor or room number.....
Thanks in advance
Jeff Edited by: Jleibold on May 6, 2010 2:46 PM
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Jleibold

You can not do what you want with the out-of-the-box capabilities.

It might be possible for someone with better programming skills than I possess to create a custom application that would scan the drawing, collecting all of the room numbers for a particular door type, create a string that lists all of the room numbers and finally pushes that string into a manual property for each door of that type, which you could then put in a schedule table as a column.

If it were up to me to create the content, I would say that someone needs to decide what feature takes precendence. If showing the room number is more important (which is what my office does), then list each door. If making the schedule table as short as possible is more important, then do a type schedule.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Jleibold

Hello David,
Thank you for your input...We see other firms do it with room number & door (which makes the schedule huge) & another firm has it by door type (c? for commons, e? for entry type, u? for unit apt. etc.). Have you ever heard of add ons like this?
Again thank you for your reply..
Jeff
Message 4 of 10
ToanDN

Scheduling every door may be OK for smaller projects. For larger projects I would go with scheduling by door types. The main intention of the door schedule is to quantify the number and give a brief description of each door type so that the contractor can do budgeting and ordering. Identifying the door location in the schedule has little to no value in serving the said intention so this task is better left for the floor plans where the door tags showing. My 2c.

P/S: I ran into this before. A not-so-elegent workaround is exporting the schedule to Excel and combining cells there.
Message 5 of 10

Jeff-

I'd like to start off by saying that, most of what I know about schedules and property sets, I learned by the numerous comments, and posts, that I could find posted by none other, than David Koch.

David-

A thought to, bounce around....I know that doors and windows are anchored to walls. I've created anchor type property sets that apply to door and window object, which provide the "WallID" (can be entityid, handle, or custom). I've created schedules for doors and windows, with a column to report the "Wall ID", and have that column set as an order/filter, to sort the windows and doors, by this "WallID".

Now, here is where I get hypothetical, if the walls are anchored to a space, a similar "SpaceID". The "SpaceID" could be passed, to the wall, then passed again as a secondary anchor to the windows and doors, (or possibly set as a direct anchor?) then referred to as a filter/ordered value of a schedule, similar to the description of the "WallID". Now I'll assume that the previous step worked, and that we have a door schedule arranged by "SpaceID". If we were to create a property set anchor between the areas and spaces, so the areas would be aware of the spaces, just like the doors are aware of their spaces. If areas were the parent object, and spaces were the children, I think it would work. However, my fear is that the space object would be the grandparent, and the walls and areas would be parents, and doors would be child objects.

Now the big question, can you create a schedule of child objects, with a reference to aunt or uncle objects. I know that this isn't a genealogy forum, so I'll try to a little diagram, Visio, I love it so...

I hope the picture explains, what I'm trying to express, better than my description does.

Thanks,

Jamie Hill

Message 6 of 10
David_W_Koch

I never said you could not create a "type" schedule in ACA; in fact, you can. If you add a quantity column to a schedule table, all identical rows in the schedule table will collapse into a single row, and the quantity column will display the number of objects that single row represents. The key to remember here is that the datum in EVERY cell on each row have to be the same in order for the rows to combine. That is why putting the room number as a column in your schedule table will generally result in a separate line for each door (excepting Spaces served by two or more identical Doors). What I said would be hard to do would be to get the lines to collapse while still having a column that lists all of the rooms in which that door type occurs.

I have no idea what type of work you do, or what sorts of doors you typically have. Assuming that you want to show door size in your schedule table and that the string you use for the door type "ID" either incorporates size, or you are willing to have multiple lines with the same "ID", with different sizes on each line, you can set up door types and by carefully selecting the properties the schedule will show, you can get a type schedule. If you do not want to show the quantity column in your schedule table, that column can be hidden.

If your mark does show the size (eg, A1 = type A door, 3-0x7-0; A2 = type A door, 3-6x7-0, etc), and you use the same typical sizes project after project, you can build the types into your styles provided you set up standard sizes in your styles. This blog article goes into more detail if you are interested:
http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2009/11/aca-scheduling-by-mark.html

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 10
David_W_Koch

Wow. I read your post, then I read the posted document and I have no idea what you are trying to do. I am willing to blame that on "Friday Brain Syndrome". If your goal is to pass data attached to a Space to a Door, you can do that with a Location property (limited to one Space per Door or Window object).

We do not include information in our Door Schedule about the surrounding Wall construction; we make the contractor look at the drawings to determine throat depth for the frames, etc. But getting Wall data into the Door or Window object is a good use of the Anchor property, and is what I would use if I had to describe the Wall hosting the Door in the Door Schedule.

I think I got lost when you started talking about Spaces and Areas. What version are you using? In recent versions, the "old" Space and Area objects have been combined into one "super" Space obejct that can be 2D (like the old Areas) or 3D (like the old Spaces, but even more so, with the freeform option). What is your end goal in having the Doors aware of the hosting Wall and having the Wall aware of a Space to which you are anchoring the Wall (assuming that is possible - I have never tried to do so)?

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 10
David_W_Koch

Back in the bad old hand-drawing days (and even pre-ACA-ADT CAD days), we did not have a "chart-type" Door Schedule. We had a four-position code at each Door, and the "Door Schedule" drawing had an explanation of what the values in each position meant. The first position was a letter, and each letter was tied to a specific door size. The second position was a numeral, and each numeral was tied to a door elevation/door material/door construction type. The third position was a letter, and it was tied to a frame elevation/frame material type. The final position was a numeral that indicated the hardware set number, as described in the Specifications. So the code at the line/arc representing the door in plan might be A1B8, where the "A" meant 3'-0" x 7'-0", "1" meant full flush hollow metal door, "B" meant a hollow metal frame with an integral sidelight (configured as shown in the elevation of type "B" frame) and "8" meant hardware set 8. This worked well to indicate what each door should be, and avoided the tedium of drawing a big grid, filling in the text and then trying to keep it coordinated.

That it left it up to each subcontractor to assign a "mark" to each opening (which most will do). This created a small problem on larger projects if the doors/frames/hardware were not being handled by one subcontractor and the various subcontractors did not agree on a single set of "marks" for the project - checking the submittals and cross comparing were a challenge when the door references were not consistent. So we started adding our own "door ID" to each opening, based on the served room's room number, in addition to our four-position code, and, in the specification, mandated that the subcontractor(s) use our ID to identify the opening.

It was not until we started using ADT and its "automatic" scheduling that we started adding chart-type door schedules to every project. We still tag each door with the ID, which then ties back to the schedule. The opening size is given explicitly on the schedule, but we still use letters to identify a door type and numbers to identify a frame type. We have a door style for each type, so that is in a style-based property. To avoid a gajillion styles, the frame type is an object-based property, but we do have a list of standard frame types - if you use one, a formula property automatically calls up the right material designation. Non-standard frame types require filling in the material designation in a separate object-based property, which the formula property reads in when a non-standard frame type is encountered.

On larger project, that means several sheets of schedule tables, but it if the model is created properly, the tables just "fall out" of it, and having each door in the schedule makes it easier to check the submittals and verify that all doors have been included.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 10
jmcintyre

You could schedule doors with formulas in the PSD to filter door types, but everything scheduled would have to exactly match, door size, frame type, fire rating, acoustic rating, hardware, kick plates, viewing panels etc etc, but excluding room number of course. Who cares if the door schedule is large, so long as it's accurate. I've used the 'door number by room number' for years and for large projects believe it's the only way to go.

Now if only you could add an elevation of the object to the schedule instead of a block or image......
Message 10 of 10
Hugh_Compton

It shoud be possible to run a command that will take an elevation of each door, create a block and associate this with the handle of each door for scheduling. Maybe post this in the Architecture Customization forum for someone with a little time to look at.

--------------------------
ACA Quantifying & Item Numbering - http://www.3dcadmax.com/Schedule-ACA.htm

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost