AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saving down to earlier version

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ddarchcol
948 Views, 1 Reply

saving down to earlier version

How do you save down to earlier version? It doesn't let me when I do a save as and click on version I want. Just gives me an error message and shuts autocad down.

I have to save 2011 drawing down to autocad 2004. I sure hope its possible. It always has been with earlier versions.

Please help.

Debby

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
David_W_Koch
in reply to: ddarchcol

AEC Objects are not backwards compatible, beyond a change in file format.  An ACA 2011 file is in the 2010 file format; 2004 uses the 2004 format.  The recipient of the 2004 format file will not be able to edit AEC objects, no matter what you do.

If the recipient of the 2004 file does not need AEC objects, then export the ACA 2011 file to the 2004 format.  That will explode the AEC objects to AutoCAD elements.  Do so with the desired Display Configuration and view direction current.  Do NOT use the same file name in the same folder as the current drawing (if it will even let you with the drawing open); once exploded, there is no going back, so you want to keep your ACA 2011 file with AEC objects intact.

If the recipient of the 2004 file needs to make edits to non-AEC items and then return the file to you for further editing, you could try turning on proxy graphics and then SAVEAS to the 2004 format.  This will greatly increase the file size.  You will want to test the work flow to make certain there are no issues after getting the file back and opening it in 2011.  I would NOT recommend this option unless there is absolutely no other way to get the work you are trying to do done.

If your file is not actively using AEC objects, you should be able to SAVEAS back to the previous release.  If the recipient wants to use ADT 2004 (or 2005 or 2006), do an export, so that her/his ADT will not detect future objects and disable the use of AEC objects in the file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost