AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same line properties regardless of layer

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
UniversalWindow
5408 Views, 8 Replies

Same line properties regardless of layer

I'm sure I just pressed something on accident but all of a sudden all my lines, regardless of if I use line, polyline, rectangle etc are red and dashed. I can change layers and the lines still come out the same even though it doesn't match the layer properties. Can anyone tell me how to reverse this? I haven't been able to find anything through google or searching these forums. 

Using autocad architecture 2015.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pkolarik
in reply to: UniversalWindow

Try the "_linetype" command. Make sure it's set to "bylayer" in that dialog box

Message 3 of 9
UniversalWindow
in reply to: pkolarik

Just checked and it is set to "bylayer".

If I open a new drawing it doesn't do it, just this one I'm working on which is odd.

It is a file I got from someone else and am working off of it. If he opens it in his computer it works fine. On mine everything I draw on this particular file is red and dashed regardless of layer.

I can go back and match properties to get it to show correctly but it would be a lot of extra work if I have to do that for everything I have to draw.
Message 4 of 9
UniversalWindow

I would have edited the above post but can't seem to find an edit option. 

I went back to the linetype command and this time I actually pressed the "current" button which fixed the dashed line aspect so I have a partial solution. Is there a similar command for line colors as well?

Is there some key or shortcut I could have pressed to have brought about this effect? I could have sworn it wasn't doing it when I first started working on the file and I hadn't used the linetype command prior to pkolarik suggesting it.

Message 5 of 9
FitzUS

If you use the properties dialog box you can quickly see what properties are current while drawing.

Use the CTRL key and type 1, or type PROPERTIES at the command prompt.  You will see the following palette window:

Make sure Color, Linetype, and Lineweight are set to ByLayer. 

Untitled1.jpg

Hard to say what caused your setting to change but it is pretty easy to do things accidentally in AutoCAD.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 9
UniversalWindow
in reply to: FitzUS

If I draw 5 lines, each on different layers they all come out red (since I was able to fix the dashed part thanks to the linetype command from earlier).

If i check the properties for each, they will each be on the correct layer that I drew them in, but the color will be set to red. I can change the color to "by layer" in the properties and they will change to their correct color, but as soon as I start a new line it will come out in red again, regardless of layer. 

Is there some command to set a color to "current" like the "linetype" command or some other way or reason that the red color would be locked in or set to "current" ignoring layer settings?

It could just be I'm not too familiar with the autocad 2015 interface since I only recently started using it. In 2010 with the classic interface there was the layer pull down menu and there was a separate pull down for colors (which would solve this problem I'm assuming). Is there a pull down menu for colors like there used to be in the classic interface for 2015 or some other way to access the same function?

Message 7 of 9

Have your properties palette open when you start to draw the line.  Before you select the first point change the color properties to "By Layer".  Going forward that property will stick.

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 8 of 9
pkolarik

Yes,there's also a "_color" command. Both that and the _layer command are old-school commands. I'd figured there must be a way to check those settings via a newer method, but didn't have the time to figure it out. I never thought of looking at the properties palette without an object selected. Thanks FitzUS, I learned something today 🙂

So yeah, you can use the command line version I gave you, or FitzUS's example will work to adjust the same settings.

Message 9 of 9
UniversalWindow

Great, thanks to everyone that helped. A lot of times these simple solutions are right in front of you, like in this case, and you just can't see them. I had never thought of using the properties panel with nothing selected as a method of setting the defaults.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost