AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotating object

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
489 Views, 5 Replies

rotating object

i would like to rotate an object to match the angle of another.  I can measure the angle but there are many decimal points and I want it to be exact.

One method i have employed is to change the ucs - z setting to align with the object to be rotated then click it and select a point that intersects the other object (this case a line) and then the 2nd snap is somewhere along the line.

this works although sometimes i have to rotate a second time 90 deg. or 180 to get proper orientation.

Is there method, or hidden snap?

ACA2011 Win 7

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MarySeufert
in reply to: Anonymous

I always want the parallel osnap to work for the purpose you describe. But I can never get it to work right! I usually snap perpendicular and rotate a second time 90 deg. I also regularly use the 'Reference' option within the rotate command.

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 6
John.W.Mumaw

It may by more steps than you want but what I usually do is use align.  If I'm in a plan view I'll make sure Osnapz is set to 1 first.  Afterwards you'll need to move your rotated object back to where it was but it should be at the exact angle and the correct orientation.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

that works!  thanks.  i had to play a little to realize what points to select and their order, but I think this is what i've been looking for.

thanks, again.

Message 5 of 6
jcp
Advocate

You can measure match the angle of an existing object while in the rotate command.

Start the rotate command, select the object to be rotated and pick the basepoint.

Select the 'Reference' option.

Reselect the basepoint, then select a second point along the object to be rotated.

Select the 'Points' option.

Select two points on any object that you want to match the angle of.

Message 6 of 6
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: jcp

Even better.

Thanks,

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost