AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof windows on plan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Oilymo
1099 Views, 9 Replies

Roof windows on plan

All,

I have been (for a while) searching for a solution to the display of roof windows on plan in AutoCAD Architecture.  Currently there is no way of anchoring the window to the roof simply align it and create a subtracted interference condition.  I then have a style that turns off the window sill on plan.  This is a good solution until I turn the roof off in a viewport and then all evidence of it disappears on the plan.  I have been using a dashed rectangle to represent the display of the roof light which is a good solution however is there anyway to apply a parametric block to the window style so that when the size changes the rectangle changes and this is always visible on plan even when the roof layer is turned off?

Many thanks

Ben

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Libbya
in reply to: Oilymo

You can apply a custom block to the window in whatever display configuration you desire and make it scale to height/width.  Go to the "Other" tab of the Plan  display representation.

Message 3 of 10
Oilymo
in reply to: Libbya

Libbya,

Thank you for the reponse.  I've done this on the attached drawing in ACA 2010 however I am trying to get the plan image to match the window when it's rotated at different angles.

Can you advise?

Kind regards

Ben

Message 4 of 10
Libbya

I have not yet used skylights, but it is an interesting issue.  In playing with your file, adding a block to the plan display config is not the approach I'd take.  Depending on the level of detail required, I would probably use a dedicated roof slab and place it on the window layer and adjust the display as necessary.  If the added detail is necessary, another approach you could use is to use the Display Manager to turn on the Model Dispay Representation in the Plan display Set.  With turning that on, tho, you will need to turn off all of the individual display items for the Model Rep for all the other window styles in the drawing.  

Message 5 of 10
ntellery

Hi Ben

Libbya's IMHO response is the correct one but perhaps you need to get the settings right and also drawn the block to be inserted in elevation view not plan view.

The other items is to set the inserted block onto an annotation layer so when the roof layer is turned off, the block remains on.  Once it displays correctly, turn everything else off (don't forget sill view).

attached in version ACA2013RoofLightsOnPlan.jpg

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 6 of 10
Oilymo
in reply to: ntellery

Nathan,

Thank you for the post.  Can you save the file back to 2010 please.  I'm up to date on software but haven't installed them yet.

Regards

Ben

Message 7 of 10
ntellery

ACA can’t save back to earlier versions! That’s why I also posted the jpg as well.

What I did quickly was jump to your side view, draw a rectangle any size and make in into a block. It needs to be created in a side view so the block is in the same ref as a window elevation not plan view. (ie, in plan view you actually see the side view of the window because you have rotated it).

Then jumped back into the plan view, right click ‘copy window and assign’ and rename Skylight or something. (shouldn’t be std style as you want this to be peculiar to the skylight)
Now continue edit style - go to display properties tab/ double click on Plan (one bolded) and on other tab add the block, selecting scale to fit width and height which should stretch to match window size.
Insertion point will depend on which you used when you created the block. I used bottom left.

Frame componant outside because you want to trace the perimeter. OK out once and go to Layer/Color/Ltpe
Your block should now show at the bottom. Change colour to something bright (to see) and layer to a layer on for plan view, ie a text layer. (you will return here once the outline works, to turn everything else off that you don’t want to see).
OK out.
Go so sill plan and turn all off visible.
Ok out.
As well as your original window you should see the other colour outline. If so then you can return and turn all else off.
Of course you can edit the block to look like anything you want to. ie double outline for frame, diagonal or cross thru. However you want it to appear in plan view.

If it still doesn’t work, email to me and I will edit and reply where it was wrong.
cheers

I
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 8 of 10
Oilymo
in reply to: ntellery

Doh!! Of course it can't.  I knew that.

I'm not sure I've explained this correctly, the problem occurs when we change the pitch of the roof and then the pitch of the window in it.  In the attached drawing I've got a window set at the same pitch as the roof and on plan the outline you can see it the hole in the roof (interference condition).  If I now change the pitch of the roof and the window but turn the roof off in paperspace I loose the outline of the window.  So it's not really a size thing more a footprint depending on the angle of the window.  It is this we want to see.

What it really needs is a proper roof light to be introduced to ACA.  Autodesk?

Regards

Ben

Message 9 of 10
ntellery

Well I might be misunderstanding but that’s the reason to place the block onto another layer rather than the roof layer.
Then when you turn the roof layer off, the block set to say a text layer will still be visible.
But I can’t understand why the pitch has anything to do with it except that the window is rotated in the first place so any pitch would be a problem.  If the block is set to stretch to match the window, then whatever size you make it or pitch you rotate it, it will show up in plan view with the roof layer turned off.
In the Reflected ceiling layout for eg. you could insert the same block but put it on an electrical layer since the text is probably turned off as well.
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 10 of 10
Oilymo

Nathan,

Thanks for the prompt response.  I'll have a look and let you know the results.

Many thanks

Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost