AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof, Hatch and Body Modifiers

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
VaDesigner10
824 Views, 6 Replies

Roof, Hatch and Body Modifiers

I have a curved portion of the roof that I am trying to add to the roof as a body modifier.  I've created two separate (but similiar) roof materials: Roof_Metal (2) for the roof slab and Roof_Metal (3) for the body. 

When I add the body modifier, the material hatch does not show on the correct face of the modifier, presumably because the slab material trumps the modifier. 

I've tried making htem the same material, but again, the material is set to show on the "Top", and the "top" of the modifier is actually the front of the slab.  

Stumped as to what to do differently...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: VaDesigner10

Make the roof from two components, e.g. metal and frame.  Make the top component metal, make it thin and asign it to have the hatch on all sides.  Make the second component thicker and have the hatch on none of the sides.  Make two body modifiers and asign them accordingly.  

Message 3 of 7
VaDesigner10
in reply to: Libbya

I don't see how that won't give the same results as what I'm getting currently...

Message 4 of 7
Libbya

When I added the two body modifiers I kept getting an error.  I'm not sure why as I've done it that way several times.  As a workaround, I made a profile definition for a slab edge style for the metal on top and then added an extruded solid as the frame part beneath.  If the two body modifiers had not caused an error it would look the same.  With the surface hatch on ALL sides of the metal material it will most definitely be on the top surface.  With no surface hatch on any of the sides of the frame material, not going to be on the sides or the bottom.  

While I was working on your file my memory was jogged with a foggy memory of 'surfacehatcheditadd'.  I did a little looking at the ribbon and when you click on the roof it is on the right side of the context bar.  Check it out.  

Here's your file back. The one on the left is edited with the edge style and body modifier.  The one in the middle has just a body modifier with the hatch removed from the front and side.  The one on the right has just the one material in the roof and the surface hatch removed from the unwanted sides. 

Message 5 of 7
VaDesigner10
in reply to: Libbya

Ah.  I see what you mean.  I wsa trying, and just could not get it.  Thanks!

One further question.  Is there a way to get the line where modifier meets the slab to dissappear?  It shows up in elevations...

Message 6 of 7
Libbya

Sometimes a line will show up because the geometry does not exactly match, other times it will show up for no reason at all that I can see.

If there isn't any geometry issue, then the line can be removed from the 2D elevation object by selecting edit linework, selecting the line, selecting modify component and moving it to erased vectors.

Message 7 of 7
ntellery

I would think the line represents the change in the shape rather than where the body modifer has been added (same thing I know) and I would think the line should show up to indicate a change in slope for the elevations. Without the line there would be nothing to indicate anything happens in a straight elevation except of course the side view.

Of course with aecElevations you can simply edit linework and delete it or change to a dashed line.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost