AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ribbon tools don't use Layer Keys?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Virtruvius
684 Views, 6 Replies

Ribbon tools don't use Layer Keys?

I am wondering why the most basic tools like MTEXT and DIM in the Ribbon don't have Layer Key options? Or am I missing something? I have the annotation content customized with layer keys and annotation scale on the tool pallets but obviously the "same" tool is right there on the Ribbon as well. Problem is that it is not the same tool and the one on the Ribbon is not configurable, like say with a simple Layer Key option under Propertities.

I found the article by Koch about how to copy your tools on your pallets to the Ribbon but I don't understand why I have to do more and more set-up work with every new version. Is it really that bizzare to think that people might want dims to come in on A-ANNO_DIMS layer and text to come in on A-ANNO_TEXT layer??? Is that really asking for the moon?

The AEC content seems to find the Layer Keys. WOW! How unexpected that a wall would come in on A-WALL layer! It's almost like the people who made the program understand what it is used for. Thank you.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Virtruvius

Out-of-the-box, Layer Keys have never worked directly on AutoCAD objects when using the AutoCAD command.  Prior to tool palettes, you would have had to create a command-type AEC Content file to get text, dimensions, etc., or write a LISP or other customization program that would include code to read the appropriate Layer Key and automate the layering.

The ribbon tools that run AutoCAD commands are, for the most part, the same tools used by vanilla AutoCAD.  There are some annotation tools that do use the AECRibbonTool command to introduce layer keying, however.  Using the ACA.cuix, if you go to the Annotation ribbon tab, on the Keynoting Panel, there is a Text tool and several Leader tools that are layer keyed.  See attached image.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Virtruvius
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Yes, exactly. But I don't understand WHY layer keying is not even an option under properties for these basic tools. Isn't this the most basic and logical idea? Text, dimensions, and Layers are three of the most basic concept in AutoCAD (any flavor). The fact that there still isn't even the OPTION to link these after years of development seems very strange to me. So now each CAD Manager in every office would need to spend hours transferring Pallet tools to the Ribbon (if they wanted to ensure that the Ribbon tools functioned properly) when this is likely the easiest fix for Autodesk. Can't this just be a property added to these tools? I don't get it

Thanks though David

Message 4 of 7
Virtruvius

Hey, cool. I found the AEC text you mentioned and it works. Great. So I could just copy that to the Home Ribbon and replace the default MTEXT there. Now is there something like that for DIMLINEAR (non-AEC objects) that is already Layer Keyed?

Message 5 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Virtruvius

It looks like they focused on providing AEC Dimension tools on the ribbon (which, as AEC objects, are inherently layer keyed, like Walls), and did not include any AutoCAD dimension tools with layer keying.  The Documentation Tool Catalog - Imperial and Documentation Tool Catalog - Metric have layer-keyed tools for regular AutoCAD dimensions (found under Miscellaneous > Dimensions), which you could add to a tool palette and then reference from a tool on the ribbon using the AECRibbonTool command.

I understand your frustration, but that was the path they chose to take with the out-of-the-box ribbon setup.  Fortunately, they provided the means to customize the interface, so you can add what you need or want.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Is this still true with ACA 2013?

I can't change the layer key on tools that are located in the ribbon (Linear Dims, Revision cloud, Multileader) except for the AEC tools?

I have been able to do what you said and find the same tool in the Catalog Library or existing tool pallete, put it on my standard tool pallete and then I am able to change the layer key. It just seems weird that the same tool doing the same job doesn't have a layer key that you can change because it is located on the ribbon.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure this is true on the current version.

Thanks

RW

Message 7 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

As far as I know, things still work the same way.  Rather than replicate the functionality of tool palette tools on the ribbon, they provided the AECRIBBONTOOL command, which "runs" a tool palette tool from the ribbon.  Once set up, you would control the layer keying for a ribbon tool that is running the AECRIBBONTOOL command by editing the referenced tool palette tool.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost