AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore replaced file

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
geoivo
2322 Views, 3 Replies

Restore replaced file

I have replace new file over an old file, but I need old file information. How can I recover the old file
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: geoivo

How did you "replace" it?  Did you open the file in ACA, make changes, and save it?  If so, there may be a BAK file of the old version.  If AUTOSAVE was triggered while you were editing the file, you may have an intermediate version (with less to change back), in your Temporary Drawing File Location.

If you had the old version in a folder, and then obtained a new version and copied the new version to that folder, then the old version would be overwritten without creating a BAK file.  Whether or not you can retrieve the old version depends on where that folder was, and whether you have any backups of the folder or whether any previous versions were saved by Windows.  You could try right clicking on the file in Windows Explorer and choosing Restore previous versions from the context menu.  If you are offered previous versions, check the dates and times to see if any could be from before the file was overwritten.  If you have any sort of back up/archival program running, you may be able to recover the previous version of the file from the back ups/archives.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4

@David_W_Koch wrote:

How did you "replace" it?  Did you open the file in ACA, make changes, and save it?  If so, there may be a BAK file of the old version.  If AUTOSAVE was triggered while you were editing the file, you may have an intermediate version (with less to change back), in your Temporary Drawing File Location.

If you had the old version in a folder, and then obtained a new version and copied the new version to that folder, then the old version would be overwritten without creating a BAK file.  Whether or not you can retrieve the old version depends on where that folder was, and whether you have any backups of the folder or whether any previous versions were saved by Windows.  You could try right clicking on the file in Windows Explorer and choosing Restore previous versions from the context menu.  If you are offered previous versions, check the dates and times to see if any could be from before the file was overwritten.  If you have any sort of back up/archival program running, you may be able to recover the previous version of the file from the back ups/archives.

I checked the restore previous versions , it's blank. A now a whole other file is saved my original file's place. I tried using the converting .bak to .dwg method but it's showing new replaced file's backup in place of the original. What do I do?

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: geoivo

"replace" means you have totally destroyed and eliminated the old file. Sorry, that's just how it all works.

If you cannot find a backup that is viable, there is nothing more you can do except to recreate the old file now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost