AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove material from an object leaving it to its global definition.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
r.abazeed
10249 Views, 6 Replies

Remove material from an object leaving it to its global definition.

I tried to use the command "Remove Material" from the rippon, and I get no rsponse, and deleted the material from the palette and yet the material there, How can I get rid of the materials I attached to the walls?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: r.abazeed

I suspect that the "Remove Material" ribbon tool you used is for AutoCAD materials, which get applied directly to an object.  AutoCAD Architecture objects, like Walls, have a Material Definition applied to them (or their components) in the object style.  Edit your Wall Style and, on the Materials tab, you can change the Material Definition assigned to each component.  You may find changing it to the out-of-the-box Standard Material Definition does what you want.  If not, you may want to create your own Material Definition that works the way you want.

If that does not work, or you prefer not to set up a custom Material Definition, you can edit the display settings for the wall, and, on the Layer/Color/Linetype tab, remove the checkmark in the By Material column for all components that you do not want to have the display controlled by the assigned material.  Be careful how you do this.  If you edit the Drawing Default level, that will affect all Walls, of all Styles, that do not have a Style- or Object-level display override set.  (And the boundaries and hatches for the components will be generically named (Boundary 1, Boundary 2, etc.; Hatch 1, Hatch 2, etc.)  If you do the edits as a style override, they will only affect Wall of that style, and the boundaries and hatches will have the component name in parentheses after each.  If you only want to change one specific object, you can do so by creating an object-level override.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 7
gurmeethappy
in reply to: r.abazeed

hi there. same problem i got today. but i find a easy way maybe its not actually a proper way but its working well. whatever material you apply to your solid shapes or objects. just draw a  simple 3D object in layer named "0" like box sphere clyinder or cone. type command MA( match property) and apply on your materialed objects. 

thanks 

Message 4 of 7
JLehman11
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Doesn't it seem crazy to anyone else that you can't just revert back to the default, no material state, of an object after you realize that assigning it a material is not what you want?  I think that is all the the original poster is looking for.  That's all I'm looking for, which brought me to this post.  You can't just un-assign a material to an object?

"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of 60 minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." -C.S. Lewis
Message 5 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: JLehman11

Are you using AutoCAD Architecture?

If so, are you working with AutoCAD Architecture objects?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 7
bthye7818
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I'm having this same issue in ACA 2023, I've managed to turned my material browser into a total disaster. I want to fix it but I cannot delete any of the materials. Some materials are from included ACA catalogs and some are 'custom' from an image/texture I imported/created.

I purged all unused materials to start, that got rid of some.

Then I find a material I want to delete except it says "material is used in drawing....remove references first" so I use the 'select object applied to' and it tells me "No objects with material 'xxx' found."

I have made sure all layers are on, ended all isolation to no avail. 

Also on the flipside when I use the 'select object applied to' it also doesn't select all the objects a material is applied to, just some.

How can I remove references....when it's not referenced? Any way I can revert all objects back to default? A clean slate would be good enough.

I am at a total loss and very frustrated. I didn't see any other threads on this topic but if there are please let me know!

Message 7 of 7
dbroad
in reply to: bthye7818

It's just guesswork until you post a drawing but as a shot in the dark. An educated guess:

1. Render materials are referenced by AEC materials. 

2. AEC materials are referenced by objects, by style overrides, and by styles. 

Find the AEC material that references your render material and uncheck its style overrides. This will effectively destroy the material settings setting it back to default.

Find the style that references the AEC material and change the references.

Someone set up the drawing according to rules that made sense to them. Find out from them what they were thinking.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost