AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangle Dimensions Issue

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
eskimolee
786 Views, 4 Replies

Rectangle Dimensions Issue

I am just starting to use ACA 2013, I have always been a user of AutoCAD never Architecture though.

Whenever I try to draw a rectangle in ACA it enters by co-ordinates instead of the dimensions of the rectangle like it does in AutoCAD. Is there a way to change this?

I can pick it from the drop down after clicking my Rectangle start point or D then Enter but as I am not used to these (and jumping between CAD and ACA) it is slowing me down. I know there is probably a simple command to change this but any help would be great.

Thanks

Give a little to get a lot
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
leothebuilder
in reply to: eskimolee

With the rectangle command there is no difference in the ACA or plain Autocad version.

When you issue the rectangle command it prompts you to select the first point for the rectangle, or you cab select one of the available options such as elevation, fillet, chamfer etc.

Once yopu have selected the first point of the rectangle, you are again presented with options for area, rotation and dimension.

If you select "D" for dimension you can then enter the length and width for your rectangle. (one at a time)

You then have to select the direction of the rectangle by clicking in the drawing area.

When you issue the rectangle command, pay close attention to the command line.

Message 3 of 5
eskimolee
in reply to: leothebuilder

I am a aware of that, However in my standard autoCAD after i have selected my first point i do not need to type "D" to get to the dimension entry.

Instead I just type in 500 [tab] 1000 and get my rectangle. However in ACA I have to click my insertion point then scroll to Dimension or type "D" then type the command. I know it is a little thing but i was just hoping there was some way to default it to dimension instead of the current AREA option.

[please let me know if that is not clear - I am terrible at explaining issues like this]

Cheers,

Give a little to get a lot
Message 4 of 5
leothebuilder

Try and turn on dynamic input, F12 or toggle at bottom of your screen

Message 5 of 5
leilanig

I finally resolved this issue!  i am using Architecture 2009, and the rectangle thing was driving me nuts!  I also couldnt make a sloped line the way i was used to either.  

turns out this is all fixed by a setting under your "snap" menu. 

1.  right click on your "snap" button at the bottom of the screen, and select settings. 

2.  to to the "dynamic input" tab.

3.  select the "settings..." button under POINTER INPUT

4.  change the format to cartesian format, and relative coordinates. 

YEAY!  i can make rectangles in one move now!  and sloped lines without drawing a 3 step triangle!  sorry it took 3 years for someone to answer this for you!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost