AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unknown command "DDEDIT""

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ntellery
5040 Views, 8 Replies

"Unknown command "DDEDIT""

When double clicking on items I get this response.  What have I done?

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
David_W_Koch
in reply to: ntellery

Nathan:

I assume that the items on which you are double-clicking are Text, MText or Attribute Definition objects.  Are you using Any chance that you have brought forward a custom ACAD.pgp file, either by using the Autodesk migration tool or by manually copying your PGP file from a previous release?

The DDEDIT command was discontinued with the 2015 release.  The 2015 ACAD.pgp file includes a line to define DDEDIT as TEXTEDIT, which is the "new" command (added in the 2010 release) for editing Text, MText or Attribute Definition objects.  The ACA.cuix file in 2015 (and, perhaps, many other customizations created by Autodesk and others) still references the DDEDIT command as the double-click action.  While adding DDEDIT to the PGP file is a good idea to keep third-party customizations running, I would argue that when Autodesk decided to discontinue the DDEDIT command, they should also have replaced any reference to it in the out-of-the-box files (other than ACAD.pgp) with TEXTEDIT.  You can either edit your CUIX file and replace the references to DDEDIT in the double-click action section with TEXTEDIT or add DDEDIT to your ACAD.pgp file, defining it as TEXTEDIT.  (Or do both, in case you have other places where DDEDIT is still referenced as a command.)

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 9
ntellery
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks for the heads up David. I thought it must have been something I had done.

Yes I would be using my previous acad.pgp file in my MyStuff folder so I will copy my bits at the end over to the new file and use that from now on. I don’t use migrate because it causes issues.

Ok so created a new copy of the pgp file in MyStuff folder adding in my shortcuts.
I also added in DDEDIT, *TEXTEDIT just in case

Double clicking text works but nothing happens with a DIM.
Is this another command for DIMS now missing?

Thanks for the help.
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 4 of 9
David_W_Koch

The out-of-the-box ACA.cuix does not have a double-click action assigned to dimensions.  What action would you like taken when you double-click a dimension?  You could add the DIMENSION object to the Double Click Actions node, and then assign a command to it.  When no action is assigned, it should default to opening the Properties palette.

PS:  I suspected that you did not migrate settings, but threw that in there for others who may read this later.  I do not migrate settings, but I have been known to copy an old PGP file forward.  I usually try to cut and paste my customizations onto a copy of the out-of-the-box file for the new version, just to avoid issues like this.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 9
ntellery

In 13 when I double click a dimension, it opens a textedit box over the dimension number.
I can then add say \Xwindow to add ‘window’ under the dimension.
(for anyone else reading, 1st skip to the end of the dim – don’t wipe it out, but if you do, typing <> restores the auto dimension)

So yes I have been doing the same in the properties box, it’s always open on 2nd screen so I didn’t notice it would pop open.
Not sure if there are any other habits gone.
Yes I had copied pgp forward. Yes probably worth recreating for each new version isn’t it! I will make that my rule from now on.
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 6 of 9
David_W_Koch

I do not have an installation of ACA 2013 to check, but I could not find a double click action assigned to dimensions in 2010, 2014 or 2015.

That said, it sounds like you had one assigned in 2013 (whether out-of-the-box or customized).  I did find that the ACAD.cuix file had the TEXTEDIT command assigned as a double click action in 2014 and 2015, so 2013 may also have had that and you may have transferred it to the ACA.cuix (via the Transfer tab of the Customize User Interface dialog).  Using TEXTEDIT on an AutoCAD Dimension object does allow you to do on-screen edits, which are treated as dimension text overrides.

FWIW, I usually use the Dim prefix and Dim Suffix properties (Primary Units subcategory) when I want to keep the true dimension and just want to add text before or after.  But that is just me.  (Dim prefix and Dim suffix values are copied by Match Properties; Text overrides are not, and have to be done for each dimension.  Both have their uses.)

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 9
ntellery

ah – using the suffix space with the same code works! and yes then you can use matchprop and just adjust the text if necessary.
Like that better than what I was doing. Thanks.

I’ve never really edited that part of the cuix in that way so it was not something I did.
The only things I ever change was fixing the ‘paste to orig coord’ from your post/blog and moving ‘Display Order’ up to the first right click menu.

I do also load what I thought was a pared down version of the Acad.cuix to get bits missing from the ACA menu but perhaps it’s all caught up now. I haven’t done that for 15 so that wouldn’t have caused the problem.

So all good. Thanks for your help David. Kudos
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 8 of 9
David_W_Koch

If, in ACA 2013, you were loading an edited version of ACAD.cuix as a partial customization file, it may be that the double click action for dimensions came along for the ride that way.  In any event, I am glad you got this sorted out.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 9
tech

I logged in just to +1 this.  Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost