AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"There was an error while refreshing. The palette could not be refreshed"

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1211 Views, 8 Replies

"There was an error while refreshing. The palette could not be refreshed"

Hi.  I've been trying to read up the previous threads on this but none of them seem to apply to the problem I'm having.

I'm using ACA 2008, haven't changed anything in any palettes, just working as normal.  One day out of nowhere I start up ACA like I also do and I start getting the error message "There was an error while refreshing. The palette could not be refreshed" while my tool palettes are trying to load.  Don't know what caused this or how to fix it.  My computer seems to be the only one in the office that this is happening to.

I've tried closing out of the project browser, deleting these palettes from my tool palette bar and eye drop dragging a fresh set from our company tool catalog on our server in their place.  They come in fine and when I hit the fresh button them, they refresh correctly.  But if I close ACA and start back up again, I'm back to the same error message as before.

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing here or how to fix this broken link?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sure could use some one chiming in on here with a solution.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Hello,

I posted this several weeks ago but no one has responded or has any suggestions to fix this problem.  Will someone with familiarity to this problem please help me fix this?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

My guess is no one is familiar with it. At some point consider performing a repair to the installation, or a reinstall if drastic measures are needed.

This is end-user peer support, for other support avenues explore these links:

Autodesk support is now on Twitter 24/5 (@autodeskcare): http://autode.sk/sbGrpx

Safety Net / Per Incident Autodesk support (not free):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=15892664&linkID=9240817

If you are on subscription, visit your Autodesk
Subscription Page for direct Autodesk Help:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2915212&linkID=9240817

Customer Error Reporting:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7047344&linkID=9240817

Different options that are available for self-help
technical support from Autodesk Product Support
E-Services:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylj0o-R_Zn0

Message 5 of 9
AlanClarke

I was having the same issue,

My palettes are on a network, and the folder containing .cbl and the .cbl file itself where both set to read only, setting this folder and file to read and write solved the issue for me.

My .atc files are still write protected so there is no worry of users altering the palettes but for some reason it seems that the .cbl has to be set to read/write in order for the palettes to refresh properly.

I hope this helps

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: AlanClarke

Thanks for the reply Alan.  Can you elaborate a bit more about these .cbl files?  Are they on my computer's 'C' drive, or would they be found on our server?  Any guess on the exact location where you found the one to correct when you did it?  What was the folder called that it was in since you said the folder itself and file were both read only?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 9
AlanClarke

the .cbl file can be located anywhere and there can be more than one of them too.  So the location and which one just depends on who set it up and their thought process.

I created our palettes so I located the .cbl on our network in a folder with my tool palette folders as sub-folders.  The .cbl is a catalog file.  you have to deploy your tool palettes thru the .cbl catalog file for them to be able to refresh, deploying them thru the .cbl file is how autoCAD looks at them as being shared, giving the palette the ability to refresh.

Now my entire CAD managment folder was recently locked down which prevented autocad from refreshing the tool palettes from the catalog.  It took me a minute to track it back to the .cbl file.  The .cbl file has always been read/write accessable and as soon as the IT department turned on the write protection, we lost the abiltity to refresh tools.  I first only gave read/write to the .cbl file and this did not work, once I gave read/write to the folder as well, it resolved itself and we where up and running again.  But I left the sub-folders with my .atc files as read only to prevent user write access.

If you know where you .atc files are you can create your own .cbl thru the content browser and add your .atc(tool palette) files to the .cbl(catalog) file.

Deploy your tool palettes from the catalog and not the .atc file for refresh ability.

I hope this helps, good luck

Message 8 of 9
David_W_Koch

CBL files are Content Browser Library files.  This file stores the names and locations of the tool catalogs you have open in Content Browser.  You could have more than one, if you want to have different groups of catalogs available for different tasks.  On the home page of the Content Browser, right click anywhere on the right side other than directly on the library title, the Help link or a tool catalog, and you will get a context menu that offers, among other things, options to create a new library or to open a different library.  I have never felt the need to set up multiple libraries, although once I get a library set up, I will make a backup copy of the CBL in case it should become corrupted.

If you do choose to set up multiple libraries, you may find this blog article of interest.  I have not tried it lately, but the techinque described for setting the initial default library may still work in more recent releases.

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2009/02/repathing-default-location-of-content.html

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks guys for the help.  What's weird is that I've had this error message every time I've started AA for the past few months and then all of a sudden a few days ago I stopped getting it and it's been working fine since.  I didn't change anything or alter anything, it just stopped giving me the error message.  Go figure!  I'm going to keep the info you posted on file just in case it starts up again tough.

Thanks Again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost