AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Tools

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
341 Views, 4 Replies

Question About Tools

...Physical, hand held tools for working with ACA that is. I posted this question over in the "hardware" section, but I don't think anyone goes there. Please accept my apologies for reposting here, but I really would like to get some feedback soon. I have a deal that I need to act on fairly soon for a Belkin n52te. I want to know if anyone has used this, or similar, to work with ACA. It seems like it could Hugely increase productivity and comfort while working with ACA (and I am sure many other apps). I am buying it from a person, so if I do, I cannot return it, so I don't want to be stuck selling it on craigslist if it doesn't work with ACA. No one who uses it for gaming seems to know for certain how well it may work for ACA, thus the reason I am posting here. Again, sorry for reposting and thanks to anyone who could shed some light on this.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've never had one. Most gaming peripherals have their own software that lets you program functions into input buttons and devices. My experience is if they do, you can program the heck out of them. Just like Logitec devices. You program a profile and it works in any software that way, including CAD. If the device only has downloadable profiles for specific games I think yer SOL.

I had a sweet HOTAS in the past that worked great. I really wish the thumb mouse on the throttle was more precise. I ended up using a regular mouse and the HOTAS as a button tree. I got pretty good at it.

Another fellow I knew programed his to type with, and got good enough he let go of his keyboard. Well, safe mode and all that became an issue
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I have one of these at home for gaming that I never use. The problem is the thing is simply too big for me to use comfortably.

The palm-size of whomever they molded it for must be about 1/3 bigger than my own, so attempting to use the thumb button along with the keys meant I was taking my hands off of the rest more often than not, just to thumb the button.

I'd recommend one of the MMO gaming mice out there with 15 functions, or the Logitech G15 keyboard before the nostromo if you're looking to keybind a lot of ACA functions to a device.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I am pretty sure you can program it any way you want. I guess I will go for it. I was just a bit hesitant because my last experience wandering out of the traditional realm was very disappointing. I tried a number of different mouse replacements - like a 3d mouse/knob thing and some other stuff. All of it was very expensive and was worse than using a mouse in ACA.

I like the HOTAS. I never thought of that. I take it you can move the mouse around with the joystick. Is there a left-click, right-click, scroll wheel replacements? Are they easily accessible like on the mouse (ie you don't have to move your fingers around to press something - your fingers are already on the buttons). If so, I am definitely going to get one. That combined with the n52te would have to be fantastic.

It seems kind of silly to get all these devices now (in my case) - I already had radial tunnel surgery on my right arm, and I am about to get carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. But, if I can bring the comfort level and productivity up, it's all good.

Let me know more about your experience with the HOTAS specifically with ACA (or ADT, etc) if you have a moment.

Thanks again.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I have pretty big hands, so I probably won't have the same experience you had. Usually, things like this are either close to the right fit, or on the small side.

My ideal situation would be to have my left hand on something that handles all the commands and my right hand on something that controls navigation and minor command stuff - but not a mouse and a traditional keyboard, they just don't do it for me. I wouldn't mind even having pedals for my feet. Even something simple like hitting the spacebar for a little while, to take a load of a finger for a bit. I know they have pedals and other crazy stuff. The best thing I found was a device to control the mouse with your eyes. I doubt it would be productive using it with ACA, but it would be nice for general computing when you want to keep both hands on the keyboard. Anyway...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost