AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pros and cons of annotation in view files vs sheet files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
aluko0719
1122 Views, 7 Replies

pros and cons of annotation in view files vs sheet files

we are in the process of starting to use constructs/view/sheets and i would like to know the pros and cons of putting annotation in a view file and the pros and cons for annonation in sheet files. the coworker that is helping me setup our cad standards thinks that putting all annotation in the view files is the way to go. work flow would be construct (line work only) then view files (with annotation) then sheet files (plotting only). he also wants to put all details, sections, elevations, construction notes, etc. in view files. my problem with this is we rarely have only one item on a sheet. a typical sheet will have mulitple plans, sections, details, and notes. if we have a sheet that has 5 views and we need to change text on all views we would have to open the sheet file then open up all views one at a time to make the changes. to me that seems like a lot of back and forth. what i would like to do is have a work flow of construct (line work only) then view files (with only plans and a composite model - no sections, elevation, details, or annotation), then sheet views (with annotation, sections, elevations, and details). i think that this i a easier/cleaner way of doing it. i would appreciated any thoughts on this.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Gary_J_Orr
in reply to: aluko0719

In the work flow that you are proposing you will be creating a lot of frustrations for the end users (depending upon their skill levels and how long they have "always done it like this, or like this...")... The complaints will include "I just never know which file I'm suppossed to edit" and/or "I keep forgetting when I'm suppossed to create a view and when I'm not suppossed to..."

In the work flow that your co-worker is proposing it becomes a single learning learning experience for all and makes "all things equal", regardless of drawing/view type. The skilled users will quickly adjust to the new work flow and life will be easier for the less experienced and/or casual user.

The final consideration: If you are using views for everything then you can also use tags with fields to those views that will adjust your view references as you rename/renumber views or move them to different sheets.

That's my 2 cents,
-Gary
Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 3 of 8
aluko0719
in reply to: Gary_J_Orr

with the coworkers way, i'm concerned that there will be so many views people will be confused with what do to with them. i was just thinking that the only views would be only the files that are constructs. i want this to be as easy as possible for users.My coworker and i are going to try doing a small job both ways and see what we think is the easiest way. i'm also curious as to how other company's go about doing this. thanks for that info. so far 1 vote for views with annotation.

Message 4 of 8
Gary_J_Orr

After you're done with that I would suggest a third test...
Merge the two ideas into one that runs right down the middle:

All plans, details, sections, etc are defined using views (for the reference fields and being able to use ootb processes and tags that are "project based" and therefore update the references as views get moved from sheet to sheet and/or get renamed, then add textual and other types of (non-linked) information directly in the "final" sheets...

This may give you a way to accomplish multiple goals, use the majority of the ootb functionality, keep the process the same for all drawing "types" to simplify the learning curve for the users, and provide "mass editing" functionality for the more advanced users...

Just a thought
-G
Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 5 of 8
aluko0719
in reply to: Gary_J_Orr

that is a good suggestion. thanks.

Message 6 of 8
dbroad

IMO, due to the fact that a single construct can be used in many different ways.

1)Put no annotation at all in constructs.

2)Put all annotation and tags in views.

3)Place views on sheets with titles.  Some cross-reference keying can be put on sheets and some notes that link views can be put on sheets but annotation on sheets should be strictly limited.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 7 of 8
robincapperw
in reply to: dbroad

Related, consider having a "Project Data View" which picks up every current level/division in the project (not those involved in design options). Will be a visual geometric nightmare but you never need look at it!

Means all whole project schedules can use the "Schedule External Drawing" Yes option specifying that view as the target and you know it will pick up all project wide data. We have schedules on sheets but know that if something is in the "Project Data View" it will be counted.

Can then use object/classification or layer wildcards to filter results if needed and group by levels/ divisions if needed.

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
Message 8 of 8
dbroad
in reply to: robincapperw

Yes.  Good addition Robin.  

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost