AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Property Sets - Automatically attach?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
FitzUS
1908 Views, 10 Replies

Property Sets - Automatically attach?

I am using some custom property set definitions to add information to spaces.  However as I insert spaces I find that I have to go to the extra step to add the property set to the object using the Extended Data tab in the Properties Palette. 

It is not a huge deal but sometimes it is forgotten and schedules are not reporting properly, or the display theme is not correct.  Although there are tools to quickly add them I would like to know if there is an automatic way to add them while creating the spaces/zones.

On a related note.  There is a property set definition that is in each file by default called RoomFinishObjects.  Is there a way to purge this?  I don't want to attach finishes to my objects.  But it seems to be embedded in the file.

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Keith.Brown
in reply to: FitzUS

If you are using Autocad Architecture 2014 then you can set the AecPSDAutoAttch parameter to 1.  Be aware that this will attach all property sets to every object to which they apply.  I have set the visibility of property sets that i do not care about to off that way i do not see them on the extended data tab.  This is done using the propertysetaccess command.  I think it is available in architecture.  I currently only use MEP.

Message 3 of 11
FitzUS
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Thanks, I am using 2014 and will give it a try.

Message 4 of 11
David_W_Koch
in reply to: FitzUS

Check your template file(s) and purge any unwanted property sets. Then check your Space tags and verify that unwanted property sets are not being referenced by any attributes in the view block(s) used by the tags (visible and invisible attributes). Also check your tag tools to verify undesired property sets are not included for attachment in the tools.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 11
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

The previous post was in response to the original poster's question regarding not having unwanted property sets purged from the file.  To purge a set from an existing drawing, first make certain it is not attached to any objects, then, on the Manage ribbon tab, on the Style & Display panel, select the Style Manager tool to open the Style Manager.  Find the Property Set Definition you wish to purge by expanding the Documentation Objects node below your drawing and then expanding the Property Set Definitions node below Documentation Objects.  Right click on the name of the Property Set Definition you wish to purge and select Purge from the context menu.  Select OK to dismiss the Style Manager and ratify your edits.  As previously noted, do this in your template file(s) to prevent new files from starting out with this Property Set.

If turning on automatic attachment of Property Sets is not something you want to do (see this blog article for a full explanation of the feature and some reasons why I would not do so when working outside of the Drawing Management environment - Project Browser/Project Navigator), if you are tagging your Spaces or Zones, you can set up the Schedule Tag or the Schedule Tag Tool to attach Property Sets, even if the tag does not display the value of any property in those Property Sets.  WIthin the Schedule Tag, if you add an invisible attribute that references a property in a Property Set to be attached (by formatting the attribute tag the same way you do for a visisble attribute), it will be added.  Or, you can specify a source file for Property Definitions in the properties of a Schedule Tag Tool in the Property def location property and then specify one or more Property Sets defined within that source file using the Property data property.  Both of these properties are found under the Basic category, under the General subcategory.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 11
hjsanders
in reply to: Keith.Brown

I'm using VisionRez 2014 (which is based on AutoCAD Architecture 2014)

It seems to have stopped working.

When I enter AecPSDAutoAttch, I get "AecPSDAutoAttch Unknown command "AECPSDAUTOATTCH".  Press F1 for help."

I believe there is a check box in the option dialog box  "Apply Common Property Sets to New objects"

I thought that was the visiul version, and I thought it was working for a while. 

Is there a visual version?

Message 7 of 11
David_W_Koch
in reply to: hjsanders

The command name is AECPSDAUTOATTACH, although using the spelling you had (from a reply above), the autocorrect feature was able to figure out I meant AECPSDAUTOATTACH.  There is a toggle for this command, in the Options dialog, but it is on the AEC Object Settings dialog, in the AEC Property Set Definitions area in the lower left (in 2014), and is called Automatically Attach.  I assume you were looking at the AEC Editor tab, Object Conversions area, Apply Common Property Sets to New Objects toggle.  This, I believe, only applies if you are converting one object type to another, not when creating a new object.  The Automatically Attach feature will work even on existing objects in the file.

I do not have access to VisionREZ 2014 (or any other version), so I cannot tell whether or not the AECPSDAUTOATTACH command might be disabled when running that program.  You may want to check with their support.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 11
hjsanders
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks David,

I had copied that from Keith Browns previous post and I have the autocorrect turned off because it interferes with my shortcuts.

Maybe a forum Mod could change Keith's post to be the correct command name.

Anyway it does work in VisionRez

Message 9 of 11
hjsanders
Message 10 of 11
jasonium

I'm using visionRez as well and also have several custom property sets. In the property set, you can have it set to apply to specific types of objects ie: plumbing/toilets. 

For my spaces, I have the room tags apply the property sets. You can also select your schedule, right click, and add all property sets. That will apply the property sets that the schedule is looking for to the objects it contains. 

Hope that helps. 

Message 11 of 11
hjsanders
in reply to: jasonium

Hey Jason, I accidently discoverd that just yesterday.  How weird.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost