AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Properties Panel missing in autocad architecture 2014

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
oddfries
5678 Views, 14 Replies

Properties Panel missing in autocad architecture 2014

Hi,

Seems that "Home - Properties" panel no longer exists in ribbon. Can someone confirm this and hopefully explain why?

/O

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Victoria.Studley
in reply to: oddfries

Hi Oddfries,

I'm attaching an image to clarify what you're looking for. Are you missing the Properties tool under the Home ribbon, Build tab, as shown?

If not, could you describe exactly what is missing? Maybe upload a screenshot to clarify?

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 3 of 15
David_W_Koch
in reply to: oddfries

Out-of-the-box ACA (ACA.cuix) never had a Properties panel on the Home ribbon tab. Vanilla AutoCAD (or, if you run ACA as AutoCAD), using the ACAD.cuix, does. If you had one before in the ACA.cuix, that was a customization on your end.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

Hi,

I have found the properties under Home on the ribbon, but this doesn't let me select to draw everything under layer color or set a color for everything.  Where did this function go to?

Please help.

Message 5 of 15
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

If I understand what you want correctly, the Object Color Contro is at the upper right of the Properties panel.  The drop-down allows you to set the color of objects that are currently selected, or, if no objects are selected, set the default color for new objects.  You can set the color to ByLayer, ByBlock, or any AutoCAD color.  The first seven colors are listed*; select the Select Colors link at the bottom to open the Select Color dialog, where you can choose any AutoCAD color, including True Colors and Color Book colors.

You can also do all of this with the Color property on the Properties palette.

* - Once you select a color other than the first seven, that choice will also appear on the drop-down list for later reuse.  Up to three previous colors will display.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

thank you for your reply.

Can you send a snip, because I am not finding a properties panel or drop down as seen in other AutoCAD programs. I have the properties palette, but it doesn't control new objects propeties; such as, linetype, color...  In other AutoCAD full versions new objects can be set to color by layer; this is my objective.  How do I set new items to color by layer? I am using MEP.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Autumn

Message 7 of 15
David_W_Koch

See attached image.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks for the image.  I don't have the pulldown, the palette only controls items selected.  Is this normal for MEP?  The instalation was recomended by AutoDesk, and not user defined.

Does the pull down say propeties?

Autumn

Message 9 of 15
David_W_Koch

You are using AutoCAD MEP?  The original question involved the fact that the Home ribbon in AutoCAD Architecture does not have a Properties panel, which is also true of AutoCAD MEP.  You mentioned having a Properties panel on the Home tab, so I assumed you were using "vanilla" AutoCAD and the screen shot was from AutoCAD Architecture being run as AutoCAD.

If a Properties panel was added to your Home ribbon tab as a customization of the out-of-the-box AMEP setup, then it may be different from the one in the ACAD.cuix file.

In AMEP, with no objects selected, you should still see Color as a property on the Design tab, under the General category, and should be able to set a default value for new objects.  I almost always (99.9999% of the time) have this set to ByLayer.  I rarely (if ever) assign a hard-coded color directly to an object, so that others using my drawings as an external reference and who choose to use color-dependent plot styles can control how things plot by changing the colors of the externally dependent layers.  (New in the 2016 release, you can override hard-coded colors on objects in external references, but we are not using that release, yet.)

FWIW, the reason the Properties panel is not part of the Home ribbon tab in ACA and AMEP, is because the display of many components of AEC objects is set in the Display System, not directly on the parent object, so they made it harder to change things like color.  If you select a Wall in ACA, the color property does not show in the Properties palette.  That keeps users from setting a hard-coded color which may have limited effect, but it does make it difficult to fix things if someone sets the default for new objects to something other than ByLayer.  (If you select an AEC object, right click and choose Edit Object Display from the context menu, and then go to the General Properties tab, you can change the color of the parent object.  Most of the time I am doing this, it is to set improperly created objects to "ByLayer".

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Hi David,

I don't have a Design Tab or General Category, and there isn't a way to set default value for new objects in our MEP version.  This sounds like it is something I should talk to the vender or is this something Autodesk can help with?  I only have under tools the ability to open the propeties palette, none of the default values are shown in any ribbons.  I always set my to color by layer, and now I have to change all values for new objects manually.

Thank you,

Autumn

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

David,

I found how to insert the control panel for selection color, line type, line width by layer or specific property.  It doesn't load automaticly with the install.

Thanks,

Message 12 of 15
craftsman-draftsman

Perhaps you might share your solution.................

Message 13 of 15

@craftsman-draftsman wrote:

Perhaps you might share your solution.................

If you are using AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD MEP, you could use the transfer tab of the Customize User Interface dialog (CUI command) to transfer the Properties panel from the ACAD.cuix file to the ACA.cuix or AMEP.cuix file, and then place that panel on a ribbon tab (new or existing).

Or, you could make your own; this blog post shows you how.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: craftsman-draftsman

My software went through an update.  Until I remember, I wanted to give you a quick fix.  You may already know this; however, on the options line type in menu.  After directed to the menus, pick acad, switch between menu and you can jump to properties in ACAD to adjust objects and design set up, by layer ectc....  Until I can recreate my solution path.

I believe there is another contributer who gave a solution.  

Message 15 of 15
craftsman-draftsman

Thanks for the quick replys David & 1956murr.  I'll work on this on Monday and let you know how it goes.  Have a great weekend.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost