AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Navigator and File Replication across WAN

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kblenkarne
339 Views, 1 Reply

Project Navigator and File Replication across WAN

Hi All,

I am no means diligent in Autocad Architecture but I will try my best!

I have a question regarding Project Navigator and replication.

We have three ofifces whom all collaborate on projects. Currently One office hosts the drawings, and the other two open the drawings across the WAN which is abviously very slow.

We are looking to implement file eplication across these three locations so our designers can open the files locally on the LAN instead of across the WAN.

The question I have is:

If we do this, will project navigator have to update the xref paths each time a drawing is opened?

eg. User A opens drawing in his office which contains the UNC path xrefs to the local files. They close the drawing, which then syncs across to the other locations.

User B opens that same file - will the xrefs then point to the location User A used, or will it pull them locally?

When the new network drives are mapped, as logn as they use the same drive letter would this resolve the issue?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Libbya
in reply to: kblenkarne

The drive letter and directories need to be the same up to any project files.  You will want to copy ALL files accessed by AutoCAD Architecture to each of the local drives including all project files, x-refs and support files.  I currently work remotely and use Allway Sync (excellent program) to sync the project folders and support folders to SkyDrive and then my employer has SkyDrive and Allway Sync set up similarly on his end.  It is not without it's gliches, tho.  I'm not sure of the exact reason why but sometimes work rollsback.  I believe it is times when two people have a file open and one of them closes and saves it, even if the other person does not save their version the save will 'bounce back' and the earlier version will oversave the later one.  Something like that...  98% of the time it all works very well.  As long as people are strictly in communication WRT what files they are opening, it can work very well.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost