AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Catalogs location

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
elina.hyvamaki
416 Views, 8 Replies

Project Catalogs location

I would like to change all the tool catalogs and AEC content to a shared location. However, in Options / Files / Tool Palettes locations, when I change the path "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-A 2009\enu\Support\Profiles\ProjectCatalogs\..." pointing to a location in our server (the shared location), ACA always bring back the old path, that points to my own machine under my own user name. How do I change all these paths pointing to the shared location = our server machine?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: elina.hyvamaki

Close your current Project Navigator project.
Close AutoCAD.
Delete all the files in "C:\Documents and Settings\
user>\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-A
2008\enu\Support\Profiles\ProjectProfiles"
Start AutoCAD and change the Tool Palettes Location path.
Close and re-start AutoCAD.
That should make it stick. Let me know if it doesn't. Also, check out
the following link for more information (page 7).
http://digitaleditiononline.com/publication/?i=25028

elina.hyvamaki wrote:
> I would like to change all the tool catalogs and AEC content to a shared location. However, in Options / Files / Tool Palettes locations, when I change the path "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-A 2009\enu\Support\Profiles\ProjectCatalogs\..." pointing to a location in our server (the shared location), ACA always bring back the old path, that points to my own machine under my own user name. How do I change all these paths pointing to the shared location = our server machine?
>
Message 3 of 9

Thanks. First it worked, but when I put a project current, there was again a path pointing to my computer. But when I changed the setting in my project to "shared catalog", the path was replaced with the project path. I wasn't going to use the "shared catalog" setting, because I had trouble creating the shared tool catalogs, but I guess I have to have that setting or have the project catalogs path pointed to my computer.

Another thing that I wonder is why the Content Browser still seems to come from my own computer. When I check the properties of a category there like "Documentation Tool Catalog - Metric", under "File or Target" it reads "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-A 2009\enu\Tool Catalogs\Documentation - Metric\Documentation - Metric.atc". And the whole Content Browser Page has a title [my_name]'s Catalog Library.

I would have looked at the link you recommended, but it lead me to the main page, and I didn't find the actual article.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I think I forgot to mention that. In your Project Properties, make sure
that 'Tool Palette Storage Type' is set to 'Per user workspace
catalog.' Do not set it to shared. I'm pretty sure that's adding to
the problem.

To find the article at the link I posted, you just need to advance
through the pages. There are some arrow buttons at the top of the page
to do that.

elina.hyvamaki wrote:
> Thanks. First it worked, but when I put a project current, there was again a path pointing to my computer. But when I changed the setting in my project to "shared catalog", the path was replaced with the project path. I wasn't going to use the "shared catalog" setting, because I had trouble creating the shared tool catalogs, but I guess I have to have that setting or have the project catalogs path pointed to my computer.
>
> Another thing that I wonder is why the Content Browser still seems to come from my own computer. When I check the properties of a category there like "Documentation Tool Catalog - Metric", under "File or Target" it reads "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-A 2009\enu\Tool Catalogs\Documentation - Metric\Documentation - Metric.atc". And the whole Content Browser Page has a title [my_name]'s Catalog Library.
>
> I would have looked at the link you recommended, but it lead me to the main page, and I didn't find the actual article.
>
Message 5 of 9

Originally I had the setting set to "Per user workspace catalog", and still the old path always returned. Actually only when I have the "Per user workspace catalog" setting, the problem occurs. I returned the setting to per user anyway.

The path is OK (pointing to server) until I set a current project, but then the old path (pointing to my machine) returns and I have two paths to project catalogs, the new and the old one. I deleted the new one now, because probably it's bad to have them both.

Well, maybe palettes work this way too...
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I don't think there's anything you can do to keep those project paths
from showing up. Of course, I'm using 2008 and I don't know if that's
been fixed in 2009. As long as you keep deleting the files in your
'\ProjectProfiles' folder, switching projects shouldn't change your tool
palettes, or your default file location (the topmost in the list,
*except for* the automatically generated project catalog path). Maybe
this screenshot will help:
Message 7 of 9

Starting with the 2009 release, you can turn off the project palettes feature. Edit the project properties, and look under the Advanced heading, under the Tool Palettes category (in the 2009 release). There is a screen shot of the Project Properties dialog (in 2009) in this blog article, if you are interested:
http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2008/03/autocad-architecture-2009-part-4.html

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 9

Thanks! The meaning of this extra path probably clears to me more when (and if) I actually start using project tool palettes. For now I'm only using the general tool palette, and that path works OK.
Message 9 of 9

It's good to know about this option. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost