AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with materials

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
morfeus80
1627 Views, 7 Replies

problem with materials

Dear all,

I am learning to use Autocad Architecture 2012, but I have a problem with materials:

I have created some walls and they all have the same style that is associated to a material. But when I activate the realistic view, some of them have the material I choose, instead others are visualized with another material.

I think (but I am not sure) this happens to the walls in which I have assigned later another material dragging and dropping it from the material browser...

What should I do to visualize all the walls with the matherial assigned to the style?

Thanks and best regards.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
KathyMoffa
in reply to: morfeus80

You could have overrides on a wall style, or you may have more than one wall style.     Two walls of the same wall style could display a different material  if one of the walls has an override. To check for overrides, select a wall in your drawing, right-click and select "Edit object display" and go to the Materials tab.  If any of the options are checked, you have an override for this wall segment only.  That doesn't mean, however, that you don't have more than one wall segment with the same override.    For example, if you copy or "add selected" a wall with an override elsewhere in your drawing, the new walls will retain the object override.   If you don't have overrides, and you have walls showing different materials, then you have different wall styles.  With the Properties palette open, click on each of the walls and verify its style.  Another quick way to find out which ones are different is to click one wall, then right-click and "select similar".   The ones not highlighted will be different.     To edit the wall style, select a wall, right-click and select "Edit  wall style", go to the Materials tab and verify the material currently selected for each component.  Editing the wall style will change all the walls of that style in your drawing.

The only way to get a material into an AEC object (doors, walls, windows, etc.) is to add it to the Style.  Dragging and dropping materials into the drawing adds them to the drawing, but not to the AEC object.   Materials cannot be applied directly to an AEC object as they can to Autocad Solids. 

Message 3 of 8
morfeus80
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Thanks Kathy for your replay, but anyway I can't find the problem Smiley Sad

Everything looks fine to me, but the walls have different materials... For this reason I have uploaded the dwg file, so you can have a look at it and tell me the mistake I have done. Like you see, some walls are grey and other green when displayed in the realistic visualization even if they all have the same style. Instead all the walls should be green.

Even the roof is done by two components and they are both visualized like wood, instead in the style only the lower component should be by wood and the top should be like the walls.

Thanks for helping me!

Message 4 of 8
KathyMoffa

When you start with the Standard Wall style, the default material is "Standard" and the Render Material for "Standard"  is General.Chip (the gray color).        You have added the material to your drawing, and specified it on the Materials tab.    Next, you need to go to your Materials tab and click the "Edit Material" icon in the upper right.  Go to the Other tab and under Surface Rendering, change the Material to Bianco.  All your walls and your roof slab will now be green.  I don't think that green is the material you want for Bianco, but that's what is currently selected.  If you want to change the material for Bianco, click the Render tab on the ribbon, go to the Materials Browser, right-click Bianco to edit it, and you will see the current selection.  Since the Bianco material is a Paint color, you can't do more than change the color, finish and application.    Your Legno Orizzontale is a white siding panel material and probably what you want to select for your walls.  I don't see a roofing material currently in your drawing.  To locate a roofing material, open the Content Browser (located under the Insert tab of the Ribbon), go to the Visualization Catalog/AEC Material Tools/Thermal and Moisture and drag a roofing material into your drawing.   You will need to edit the Roof Slab Style the same way you edited the Wall style to change the Material.

One thing that has me totally stumped is that you have multiple walls that have the same style Standard, and as you have discovered, have no overrides and are still showing differently.  I can't figure that one out.  However, the best (and easiest) method is to avoid the Standard style completely.  Always start with one of the many styles provided in the Content Browser or on the Tool Palettes.  Immediately right click and select "Copy and Assign" , rename your new Style and make your changes to your new style.       As you have discovered, the most difficult route to take is starting with a Standard style, as it takes many more steps.   For example, your Standard style has no Wall components, so you can't have different materials on the inside and outside.     It's much easier to modify an existing wall style that already has components and materials assigned than to create one from scratch, which is what you are doing when you start with the Standard wall style.  

Message 5 of 8
morfeus80

Thanks for the advice, now I have solved this problem.

I have another question: if a do a rendering of the interior, even if background and sun are activated, the glass of the windows results black. Why?

Message 6 of 8
KathyMoffa

If your glass is black, but you have a lighted interior, then your Sun & Sky must have gotten toggled off.    Are you rendering from your Model tab, or setting up your scene using the View command?   I generally add a new layout tab, switch to floating Model Space (Command MS), and set up a scene with either a camera or the steering wheel.   I then enter the View command where I specify the background (solid, gradient, image, sun & sky) in the view, then set that view current.  That way, your settings are saved in the View.   

If you're still having problems, post your image and a screenshot of your render settings. 

Message 7 of 8
morfeus80

To make a rendering I usually go on the Rendering tab, I set the options I want and I push the rendering button.

Enscolsed there are a screenshot of the settings in the tab and a result of the rendering. Like you see, windows are black even if sky and clouds are selected. Where am I wrong?

Message 8 of 8
KathyMoffa

In the rendering you post, you have a very nice effect with the Sun coming in through the glass and a bright interior (quite an accomplishment), but as you note, no Sky.      I don't know what you are rendering, but it's not the view shown in the screen capture that shows your settings.   The screen shot shows a column and stairs that do not appear in the rendering.  So, whatever "scene" or "view" that you are actually rendering is the one that has the Sun toggled off.     I have no idea how or why that is happening.   Interior rendering is very frustrating, and I think most people just give up and use a different product.  Both AutoCad Architecture and AutoCad have a Visualization discussion forum, and you could try posting your problem there, but you may not receive a timely response, as neither one has frequent postings.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost