AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printable Area in Layout

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
dbd63
63004 Views, 11 Replies

Printable Area in Layout

When I make a new Layout a new Page Setup called *Layout1* is created and assigned to the new Layout.  Our plotter is assigned as the plot device, and a dashed rectangle showing printable area appears near the borders of the white sheet area represented in the Layout.  If I choose to Modify the layout, and I change the Paper size, the dashed rectangle disappears, and now I don't know how to position and size a title block to ensure that it stays within the printable area.  What controls the presence of the dashed print area rectangle?

Dan

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jcp
Advocate
in reply to: dbd63

On the Display tab of the Options dialog box there is a check box for Display Printable Area that should be checked.

Message 3 of 12
dbd63

Thanks.  That seems to be a system setting, and it is checked, but still I see the printable area in some drawings, and not in others, even when that setting is checked in all drawings.  All drawings are set to the same Printer/plotter (and driver), all drawings are set to Plot area / Layout.  Okay, I just found the culprit- if I set the Paper size to Arch D, I see the dashed printable area rectangle.  If I set the Paper size to Arch E1, the dashed rectangle disappears.  But why?

Message 4 of 12
jcp
Advocate

It sounds like the Printable Area got changed in the Arch E1 paper size. Open the Plotter Configuration Editor and on the Device and Document Settings tab  select Modify Standard Paper Sizes (Printable Area).  Select the Arch E1 paper and see if the margins got changed to 0.

Message 5 of 12
dbd63

Yes they did!  Thanks- that takes care of it.

Message 6 of 12
vbsbchic
in reply to: jcp

I am having the same problem. I have multiple layout tabs with a different page size for each tab, but when I view the paper size margins, all of the paper sizes have 0 as the margin, yet the printable space shows up on some layout tabs and not others. Care to explain a little further how this is corrected?

Message 7 of 12
jcp
Advocate

Setting the Paper Size Margin to 0 makes the print area dashed lines disappear. I am not sure what the correct values would be for your plotter but the values for  the HP DesignJet 1050C here on an E1 size sheet are 0.52 for the top and bottom and 0.20 for the left and right sides.

I am not sure why the print area isn't showing on some of you layouts but I would try adjusting the margin values on one of the paper sizes to something other than 0 and see if the print area show up. If that works repeat the process for the other Paper Sizes.

Message 8 of 12
elianabraga.arq

please, anyone knows how to fix this paperspace printable area?

autocad14 for mac

thanks if anyone can help

eliana

Screenshot 2015-11-16 11.13.00.png

Message 9 of 12
mithridate

It does not make too much sense to me but that is what happened to me. I created a custom sheet size 30"x 54". In the sheet size box for width I wrote 30 and for height 54 and saved it. Then when I chose that size ( User 1 30x54 inches) in the page setup manager for plotting the printable dash line disappeared. I chose a standard size it appeared again. After hours of searching and comparing I found out that I had to write 30.00 and 54.00 instead of only 30 and 54, Then the box reappeared. Everything looks normal except the issue was the dot-zeros. Our computer savvy was also surprised about this matter when I told him and he tested and confirmed my finding. So make sure you put those .00s.

Message 10 of 12

yes!it did work fine to me as well. I have read somewhere else about this.

thanks

Message 11 of 12

Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
HChu
in reply to: mithridate

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > DISPLAY > LAYOUT 
ELEMENTS > Uncheck "Display printable area"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost