AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Quality Text Display in Model Space - Windows 8.1

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kyellena
533 Views, 4 Replies

Poor Quality Text Display in Model Space - Windows 8.1

Hi,

Recently purchased a brand new computer with Windows 8.1 loaded. Now I have this issue that I've been able to resolve for years (decades even) in the past. I don't know if it's Windows 8.1 or my machine but I've done a search and attempted all options for modifying how my dtext and mtext appears in Model Space. This is a problem that used to be solved by moving the z coordinate for the TrueType font away and back to 0. This does not work any longer. The OCD in me has had me researching a solution to this for more time than the problem deserves but I really would like to know if there's a solution.

I can't smooth edges on text through Windows properties any longer (or at least I have not discovered where this option might be buried), I have set TEXTQLTY to 100, I have set VIEWRES to 20000, I have pathed the fonts folder to the Support File Search Path, I have searched the forums and user guide. The poor display quality applies to text that is both generated new and copy/pasted in. Changing the font to Arial does not resolve the issue either.  Hoping there's a random, obscure setting that I'm not aware of that will resolve it.

Thank you,

Rachel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: kyellena

Monitor is a...? Windows display resolution is set to...?
Video card? Is that a certified Autodesk driver you are running?
Your ACA version? hardware acceleration on?
SHX or TTF fonts? What's the font name?
Did ACA give warning of font substitutions when it opened your file?
Are your text/mtext objects at a Z height other than zero? Don't rely on PROPERTIES to display it, your UNITS setting may not be detailed enought to show it.

Your long post missed vital information for remote assistance.
Message 3 of 5
kyellena
in reply to: pendean

I'm sorry for not being clear when I posted late last night. This issue is only in Model space. When switching to Paperspace the fonts display correctly in their viewports and plotting is fine from both Paper and Model space. Due to this quirk I had eliminated hardware from the issue but have done my best to include the information requested below.

I have gone in and manually moved the text to Z = 0". I've moved it to and from Z = 0 with several regens in between.

System reboot has had no effect.

ACA 2011.

TTF fonts.

No warning or substitutions. Applies to all files.

All TTF fonts attempted: Arial, Cordia, Technic Lite, Verdana  (created new text styles, modified existing, modified in text editor).

Sony Vaio SVF14A15CXB with Intel HD Graphics 4000 version 10.18.10.3379 Driver, purchased in January 2014.

No idea on hardware acceleration.

Any drivers I have are from original software or updates. 

I realize it's not important as it has no bearing on the output - it just bugs me so I was hoping to find a 'cure'.

Thank you

Message 4 of 5
MarySeufert

What stands out: Windows 8.1 + ACA 2011 = Not supported. Win 8.1(or 😎 didn't exist (commercially) at the time of ACA 2011 development.

This may be the root of your display issues.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 5 of 5
kyellena

Yeah - I figured that might be the reason. I just wasn't sure if there was anything else I could try. (I cannot afford to upgrade my version being a part time independent contract drafter. The software costs about what I make in a year.)

Thank you for your time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost