AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot a viewport with a 3D model in grayscale

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
SteveMSILLC
835 Views, 2 Replies

Plot a viewport with a 3D model in grayscale

I have a layout that has two viewports.  One vieport contains line drawings to print B&W.  The other viewport has a simple 3D model with applied textures and simple lighting.  When I choose monochrome for plotting, I get the lines in B&W but the model in full color.  Is there a way to force the model to print/plot in grayscale rather than full color w/o having to make changes to the model?  If I chose shaded rather than rendered in the plot style, it somewhat achieves the look - but the model is a small case with a glass door and the glass then renders as opaque.

Steve Jones
Designer
Morgan Smith Industries
www.morgansmithllc.com
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: SteveMSILLC

My understanding is that plot styles (CTB or STB) are only used for 2D Wireframe, and that other Visual Styles all plot using the drawing color (or, where materials are applied and active, the render material).  I suppose you could set up a Display Configuration/Display Representation Set(s)/Display Representations and Material Definitions that would assign all linework to be black/white or one of the gray colors and to have black/gray/white render materials.  That would be a lot of work.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3
SteveMSILLC
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Yes - too much work for this small project.  But I can see the need in the future.  I would also need the grayscale to be able to handle the transparency of the glass materials as well.  One workaround (though I hate having to do a workaround when a product should be able to do it) is to render the image out, run through Photoshop and make grayscale, then bring back into Autocad as a JPG.  But that means repeating that process for each change in the model.  Yuck.

I wonder if I could define a new model "material" paint as a gray tone and apply it to the model?  But that would still leave issues with the glass.  But since it technically has "no" color, it might work.  And would it REALLY print as gray - or be a "colored" gray?

Steve Jones
Designer
Morgan Smith Industries
www.morgansmithllc.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost