AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistant Crashes in Architecture 2014 with VisionRes Extensions

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
hjsanders
303 Views, 9 Replies

Persistant Crashes in Architecture 2014 with VisionRes Extensions

I have already spoken with the VisionREz people several dozen times, so I feel I have exhausted that avenue.

My client has the same version on a different machine and they are having no problems.

The problem is continuous, persistent, compete crashes. By continuous, I mean every 30 minutes or so and on some opperation every time. For example, copying a model from one drawing to another.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this please let me know.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: hjsanders

Not enough information. Maybe your client can help you with a new setup.
Message 3 of 10
hjsanders
in reply to: pendean

I set the client up. It is exacly the same.

Sorry for the lack of information, but you see, that is the porblem.

It doesn't seem to be a Windows issue or a memory problem, yet Architecture is crashing at a rate of about once or twice every hour.

I was hoping someone else has experienced this and knew of a fix.

I reinstalled it from scratch. and no change. I ran some test on my Windows installation and it reported normal. I ran a memory scan, and once again, normal.

So everything is normal, but it still crashes.

Message 4 of 10
pendean

Reinstall windows perhaps, without VisionRes, but all your other software and see if it still crashes so frequently.
System details are...?
OS?
Video Card?
Message 5 of 10
KathyMoffa

You may need to not only uninstall VisionREZ and ACA 2014, but also use a registry cleaner before reinstalling.  I tried VisionREZ several years ago, and stopped using it when I realized it was an all or nothing product--I couldn't just switch from an ACA profile to a VR profile and use the best of both products.   After one  VR roof crash too many, I just stopped using the product, but left it installed for several months.  It was only after uninstalling VR that my problems began, in particular the inability to clipboard paste from one drawing to another without crashing.     Using a registry cleaner was the solution in my case.  

Message 6 of 10
hjsanders
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Thanks Kathy,

You are confirming what I had suspected, and wanted to ignore. Overall, for home building, or for 5 story or less wood frame structures, VisionRez is very complete.

Having said that, crashes are not acceptable. 

The clipboard thing is a very real issue. We have several templates that we use for BOM and for Rendering, seperate from Construction Documents. I prefer to cut and paste rather than Xref.  It seems cleaner to me, maybe that's just blinders on my part.

I'm going to reinstall my entire system from scratch and see if that fixes it.

I'll post back after I deside to make the committment.

Message 7 of 10
hjsanders
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Dean,

Intell i5-3570K CPU 3.4 gig

Win 7 Profesional  64 bit service pack 1

16 Gigs Ram

Nvidia GTX 650

(2) CTL 30" 2560 X 1600 monitors

Message 8 of 10
KathyMoffa

The insert "from Template" option available when you right-click a layout tab is probably a better choice.  Not a workaround, however, for not being able to copy & paste anything.  If by reinstalling your entire system you are including Windows, I would definitely not go that route before using a registry cleaner.   

Message 9 of 10
hjsanders
in reply to: KathyMoffa

I've installed  several thousand Windows OSs in my IT days. In those days, (DOS 6.1 Win 3.1 Win 95, Win NT,WinXP, Win Servers 2003 and 2008) I never had good luck using registry cleaners, it seemed to me, that  more often than not they made it worse, including Norton that everyone always bragged about.  To the point that it was easier to just go ahead and reinstall from the git-go.

Do you know of a good one?

Thanks.

Message 10 of 10
KathyMoffa

I don't have enough experience with the products to recommend one.  You might re-post that specific question here, and see if someone does.  Also, see if your VisionRez support might have some suggestions for doing a clean uninstall of their software. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost