AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overhead Door - door inside frame

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
bamckenzie69
4020 Views, 9 Replies

Overhead Door - door inside frame

I working on a deadline with little sleep, but I cannot believe it is this hard to get an overhead door to look right.  All I want is a 1" thick frame, the same depth as the wall AND the door slab to be INSIDE the frame like a real overhead door.  The attached PDF shows the standard OH door on the left with the stupid door centered in the frame.  The door on the right is one I created by inserting a cased opening in the wall, then manually drawing a rectangle and dashed line for the OH swing.  All I am interested in is getting this right in plan at this point.  Using Architecture 64 bit.  HELP!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JustoAg
in reply to: bamckenzie69

Insert an Overhead-Sectional (overhead) door from Design Pallete. Modify the swing in Plan Disp. prop. to be dashed. then use 'reposition within' to center it in the wall.

Hope this help.

Justo.

Message 3 of 10
bamckenzie69
in reply to: JustoAg

The swing is alredy dashed, that is not the problem.  Repositioning within does not fix it either because that moves the door AND frame.  I want to change the locatioin of the door compared to the frame.  In the PDF I posted the option on the right is what I want.

Message 4 of 10
JustoAg

Well, maybe there's a simpler way but here's an approche: Draw a rectangle, convert it to a block. Edit the Plan Disp. Rep and in the 'other' tab add this block, put it to fit in width and give it the necessary offset in Y (outside frame component). When you're done turn off the panel visibility. Hope this help. Justo
Message 5 of 10
bamckenzie69
in reply to: JustoAg

Thanks, that worked pretty good.  I still don't understand though why the door panel cannot be defined correctly.  I have never seen an overhead door that closes in between the jambs.  This seems like such an elementary thing...

Message 6 of 10
KathyMoffa

It's a simple matter of determining exactly where you want the door to be located, and inputting those values into the door's anchor properties.     If your properties palette is not already open, right-click the door to open it, go to the Location tab and click Anchor.  In the Anchor dialog box, it is the postion in the Y values that you will need to adjust.

Message 7 of 10
bamckenzie69
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Kathy,

One of us is not understanding something.  When I adjust the anchor position within the wall, it moves the entire door block including the frames.  The door panel stays in the middle of the frame.  I don't want the frame to move, just the panel.  I want the panel to sit on the interior side of the frame.  The attached PDF shows the wrong scenario that is standard on the left, and the correct look by turning off the panel and adding a block on the right.  I have been able to come up with a few other work-arounds, but they all require doing something other than use just a door block.

Am I missing something with the position thing?  Can you adjust the position of the door panel within the door block?

Regards,

Message 8 of 10
KathyMoffa

You're correct.  My workaround had been to make the width and frame the same, change the wall endcap to Standard, and then use masses to make my own trim.   I recently purchased Archidigm's Garage Doors, and attached is a wall with one of his doors.

Message 9 of 10
bamckenzie69
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Thanks.  I was a little woried that I was a major bonehead.  Now I feel better.

Thanks for the door too.  It appears he did what I did, except more elaborate.  His panel is turned off in the display and he has several blocks being used.  Looks that is the way to go, but for a software as sofisticated as AutoCAD you would think that kind of thing would be built into the doors.  Oh well.  Thanks for the help.  I got what I needed.

Message 10 of 10
KathyMoffa

I agree.  I've struggled with the middle of the wall default for  both doors and windows (as if they are actually mounted to brick and air spaces), and I think it's why some people end up using multiple walls and modifiers to cut the other wall's opening.    I love the Archidigm tools, and as you see with the door, they are great for learning also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost