AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open file dialog box can't see places

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mongrelmusic
2061 Views, 7 Replies

Open file dialog box can't see places

Does anyone know how to change the font color for the places on the left side of the open file dialog box in Windows 8.1 and AA2015?  The white on light grey aggravates me to no end!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MarySeufert
in reply to: mongrelmusic

Well, you might be out of luck. The open dialog box's colors are controlled by Windows settings AFAIK. I haven't played around with ACA 2015 enough to be sure that is still the case, plus I won't ever have it installed on W 8.1, since I am boycotting it. Unfortunately Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have taken away the ability to manipulate window color and appearance. See this link: http://www.intowindows.com/advanced-appearance-settings-for-windows-8-1/

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 8
mongrelmusic
in reply to: MarySeufert

Mary,

Thanks for the info.  That backs up what I have found to be the case.  This seems like something that Autodesk could build control of into their software, and I hope they do. 

The third party app you linked offers some customization capability, but nothing that affects the readability of the text I'm frustrated with.

If anybody has any other possibilities for changing this, I hope they chime in.

Thanks

Message 4 of 8

In Windows 7 I found that the inactive window color is the background for the left Places. In case you don't know where to go to change this (I had to dig a bit) 

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance - click on Advanced Appearance Settings - Color 1 is the one that changes it.

BTW changing the font color didn't change the Places seems it's always white

This could be true for previous Win versions or Autocad releases but have no machine to test on...

Message 5 of 8
C3DJAKE
in reply to: mongrelmusic

In Windows 10 you can change it in the registry at

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

HilightText  = the font color

Background = the background color

Windows needs to be restarted before the changes take place.

Message 6 of 8
torvaldadolphson
in reply to: C3DJAKE

This did not change the powder blue vertical box of available files in my select file popup menu. 

I was, however, able to make a few other things darker so that the white text pops out a bit. Less squinting is a good thing.

I think we are hosed until AutoCAD starts using more Windows functionality in its coding.  

The struggle continues...

Message 7 of 8
C3DJAKE
in reply to: torvaldadolphson

I'm sorry to hear that. Mine seems to be working out. Did you to try to restart Windows?

Agreed. Keep up the good fight! 

FileOpenColors.PNG

Message 8 of 8

@torvaldadolphson wrote:

I think we are hosed until AutoCAD starts using more Windows functionality in its coding.  

Autodesk is dependent on Microsoft (and Apple) for keeping the 0 & 1s consistent in the OS.  This topic started when Microsoft took away the ability to change the dialog box color in Windows 8.1.  Windows 7 has the ability and apparently they put it back into Window 10. 

It is important to list what OS and AutoCAD version you are using, to see if there are any settings to try for your particular situation. 

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost