AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open and edit .plt file

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
PaulSinnott1828
12152 Views, 12 Replies

open and edit .plt file

How do I open and edit a plt so that can modify and plot the file ? My software is Autocad Architecture 2009

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: PaulSinnott1828

You don't really: what exactly are you trying to acomplish? Perhaps there is a better solution.l
Message 3 of 13

You can not open and edit directly a PLT file. If you have express tools loaded, try PLT2DWG which will convert Plot files that are in HPGL format.

Edit: I can convert a PLT file to PDF if that would help.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 4 of 13
PaulSinnott1828
in reply to: pendean

I would l like to be able to preview the plt files before I send them for plotting. I guess it is not possible to edit a plt file ? 

Message 5 of 13

Try a quick search for PLT Viewers, there are a couple of free options out there. I currently have KIP Request which will view/spool them or I can convert them to PDFs, I've also used Oce viewer/spooler products in the past.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 6 of 13
whawco
in reply to: MarySeufert

If your still out there how do you convert a plt to pdf?

Message 7 of 13
MarySeufert
in reply to: whawco

I personally no longer have the software to do this. 

In the past I used Oce and KIP plotter spooling software to convert PLTs to PDFs.  Do a google search for PLT Viewer and you can find a bunch of different software.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 8 of 13
sharpl

@pendean, is there any better solution for AutoCAD 2017? I need to be able to maybe bring into AutoCAD or manipulate or at least view. the plttodwg command gives an error message about the NOT PROPER HPGL format.  Thank you!

Message 9 of 13
pendean
in reply to: sharpl

PLT is not a defined file format, it is the default name of a plot that is directed to a file: it is so driver dependent it is useless to use these days when you have the entire planet accepting PDF as the defacto shareable file format for just about everything not printed on paper.

Why do you think you still need a PLT file? It's not 1989 anymore.

Message 10 of 13
sharpl

plt. is what I have. Another option is a poorly converted dwg that takes days to clean. My Question was HOW and I got the question WHY instead of any valuable input. How so? 🙂

Message 11 of 13
MarySeufert

Sorry, but you are out of luck.  The PLT format IS outdated - all you can do is view it or print it, no one is creating new tech around this format.  And yes, if the PLT file is not formatted in a way AutoCAD can interpret, it will not bring it in nicely.  There is no easy button available for this one.  Your better off printing, scanning to PDF and editing it there.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 12 of 13
sharpl
in reply to: MarySeufert

@MarySeufert, right click is not allowoing me to print to pdf. Do I change the extension? Please advise, thx!

Message 13 of 13
MarySeufert

You have to send the PLT to the plotter.  Changing the file type is chaos.  Like I stated above google search for a spooler/viewer.  Kip and Oce are two plotter brands that have had built in spooler programs.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost