AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to add tools to palettes

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
troye
341 Views, 18 Replies

Not able to add tools to palettes

This has been happening for a few weeks. I am not able to add tools to palettes weather i drag and drop from Windows Explorer or if I try to drag and drop from the ACA screen. I have the Full control permissions to these locations.

XP sp2
1GB Ram
128 nvidia
2.8 GHz duo

ACA 2008
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: troye

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:05:31 +0000, troye <> wrote:

>This has been happening for a few weeks. I am not able to add tools to palettes weather i drag and drop from Windows Explorer or if I try to drag and drop from the ACA screen. I have the Full control permissions to these locations. XP sp2 1GB Ram 128 nvidia 2.8 GHz duo ACA 2008

Right-click on the palette, Properties, and see if is set to Refresh from a
central library. It may be set by your CAD Manager.

If it is, don't uncheck the "Refresh From" box. Update the source
Catalog/Palette (or have him/her do it) and hit the Refresh button in the
palette.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com
Message 3 of 19
troye

the palettes are not shared from a catalog. they are shared from a network drive. and then updated thru the profile.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

Make sure the .atc file did not get set to read-only. Is there a lock
icon at the bottom of your palette?

troye wrote:
> This has been happening for a few weeks. I am not able to add tools to
> palettes weather i drag and drop from Windows Explorer or if I try to
> drag and drop from the ACA screen. I have the Full control permissions
> to these locations. XP sp2 1GB Ram 128 nvidia 2.8 GHz duo ACA 2008
Message 5 of 19
troye

No that is not it either. When i drag the tool that wish to place on the palette i get that black bar at the space I want to place them, but then nothing happens. I forgot to mention that this only happens when i am create a new palette. I am still able to place items on palettes I have alreardy created.
I am the CAD Manager with Administrator premissions.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous

New Palette created where exactly? and what are you trying to copy to it?
Are you running ACA as AutoCAD?

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 7 of 19
troye

I am trying to copy blocks that I created for my companies use and no we are using ACA as ACA.
The atc files are being created on a network drive and being pulled from that location.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

Uh, what about closing the project that you are in and then placing your
tool.  After which then restart ACA and open the
project.
Message 9 of 19
troye

Exactlly, UH! I do not work on projects. Besides what does that have anything to do with it? I i am not able to add tools to a palette than I can open and close projects till I am blue in the face and still not have tools that i need to have on my tool palettes.
Message 10 of 19
cadtastrophe

Well in Nick's defense (not that he needs it) palettes that are created when a project is active are tied to that project and therefore can be problematic (unless of course it is a project palette) though I don't know that that's the case in this instance its still good advice. Are you suggesting you can get them into content browser but then not i-drop them to a tool palette? A little more information would be helpful.
Message 11 of 19
troye

no these are not project related at all i am basiclly using a new dwg and making a dynamic block, then dragging the block from model space to the palette and the palette will not accept the block. there is not a not allowed symbol it just will not attach to the pallete and there are not any errors. I am not using the idrop tool from a catalog as i never have for the past 3 releases.
Message 12 of 19
cadtastrophe

It's odd that its only the new palettes. Could be your cui. Can the task be performed on another machine?

Other "Band-Aid" temp ideas (that you likely thought of), can you Copy to the clip board and paste to the palette? or copy a block from an existing palette to a new palette?
Message 13 of 19
troye

yes i can paste from another palette to new palette
Message 14 of 19
David_W_Koch

Have you saved the file after creating the Dynamic Block, before trying to create the tool? I have never created a Dynamic Block, let alone tried to make a tool for the Dynamic Block, so this may not be a factor for such a tool, but I know that not saving the file first causes problems with creating tools for AEC objects.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 15 of 19
troye

yes i save the file first. But as i said in the original post, it has only been hapening recently
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:45:20 +0000, troye <> wrote:

>yes i save the file first. But as i said in the original post, it has only been hapening recently

Go to Options > Files > Tool Palette Locations. Make sure you have read/write
access to all of the folders in this path.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com
Message 17 of 19
Mel_Designer

I am having this same problem. When you are in Options/Files/Tool Palettes how do you determine you have full access?
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:42:35 +0000, Mel_Designer <> wrote:

>I am having this same problem. When you are in Options/Files/Tool Palettes how do you determine you have full access?

You don't do this through Options. Take note of the folder path, then check the
access rights / read only status in Windows Explorer folder properties.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com
Message 19 of 19
ccasal

I just ran into this same issue a couple of weeks ago. As a temporary fix I was able to rename a palette that I no longer used just so I could add my newly created blocks and have them acessible to the rest oof my drafting team. Were you able to get this issue resolved at all? I can certainly use the help as well. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of palettes that you can have?

I'm running ACA 2008 with XP Svce Pk3 & 3GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost