AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested XREF and Imported Layer States

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
RobinCrumpler6851
4002 Views, 5 Replies

Nested XREF and Imported Layer States

I'm having a problem using the imported layer states when I have a nested XREF.  Here's the scenario.  I have a floor plan drawing.  It is referenced into a reflected ceiling plan drawing.  I setup two layer states in the RCP: One for demo, one for new work.  No problems yet.  Now I've setup a sheet file that XREF's the RCP (which has the floor plan file nested within).  The layer states automatically import into my sheet file and I can restore them.  Here's the problem: The automatically imported layer states don't properly control the nested XREF layers.  Instead, it just turns off all layers in the nested XREF (in this case, the floor plan), leaving only the layers from the RCP.  I can manually turn the nested XREF layers on and off and save that as a new layer state in the sheet file, but that really seems messy. I can also just tell the layer state manager not to turn off layers that aren't listed in the layer state, but that has problems as well. 

I have a guess about what may be causing this.  It seems that the layer state understands layers as FP>RCP>Layer.  The layer manager just understands it as FP>Layer and RCP>Layer.  Since there isn't a consistency, it doesn't recognize the FP layers and just turns them off.

Another thing to note is that the layer states imported from the FP file work fine.  And the layer states from the RCP file work fine for the layers in the RCP, just not the layers in the nested FP file. 

Is there some variable that I should change or some work around?  Or is this just an AutoCAD bug to be fixed in the future? 

I've attached a screen capture showing the sheet file open and an RCP layer state active.  As you can see, all floor plan layers are turned off.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: RobinCrumpler6851

LayerStates creates a static list: change anything in your file and the static list starts to fail at those variations. You have to create a new list, AKA a new LayerState, to capture the new variations.
Message 3 of 6

When we need to reference in a drawing that has specific layer states setup, what i like to do is this:

1.  Open sheet file, insert all Xref's. Note the Xref's you wish to adjust layers for.

2.  Open the Xref you want to adjust the layers in, set layers correctly, save file this way. Do not close yet.

3.  Go back to Sheet File.  Set  "Visretain 0".

4.  Reload the Xref you wish to update the layer state for. (It should now have the correct layers as you set up).

5.  Open any other Xref's and repeat.  This can include sub netsted xrefs.

6.  Reload those Xref's in the sheet file.

6.  Set "Visretain 1" in your sheet file and save your drawing.

7.  Go back to your Xref files, and either Undo all the changes you made to the layer state, or change them back manually.  Save, and Close.  Repeat for each Xref.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 6
plleras2211
in reply to: pendean

Hi there pendean

I am having that same issue. do i have to create the new layer state on the drawing that is going to be use as a XREf?

Message 5 of 6
pendean
in reply to: plleras2211

Message 6 of 6
plleras2211
in reply to: pendean

I think i found the issue

The thing is that the drawing that is going to be use as an XRef was made on of version of Autocad 2009. I am working on a 2012 version here at my office. For some reason i don't know why but, i have made drawings on version 2012 and use them as an XREf and layer states work perfectly.

A drawing made on a older version like 2009 seems to have this issue when opening on a more recent version, don't know why but is happening.

This is the only thing i have try that has made a difference, that  solve this issue for me. If somebody have made the same let me know so i can come down to a conclusions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost