AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help - Creating Voids in walls for columns (the easy way?)

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
MichaelFrampton
8231 Views, 9 Replies

Need Help - Creating Voids in walls for columns (the easy way?)

I have a series of 3d walls in autocad Architecture 2012 and an existing CAD 2d structural column layout.

I need to remove/cut or trim the wall around the HSS columns on a floor plan. The walls show the consttruction of the wall and I can't seem to create a void or mass to cut out around the column. Is there an easy way of doing this so that I can just place this in a block to auto cut the wall. My hope was to create a column block so that I can just drop the HSS columns wherever i want them.

I know i can use a wipeout to clear the area however, that is not ideal as we have other linework that need to be visible.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

You can add an Opening in the wall that extends just the width of your column.   You can then move/copy the opening and column along the wall.   To hide the display of the opening, right-click the opening, select Edit Object display, and on the Display tab, select the display configuration you use for printing and turn off the length line.    If you do this first for one opening and then copy that opening to all your other openings,  the opening will retain the display override.  Just be sure not to turn off the visibility in the display you're working in, as you will be unable to select the opening without any visibility on. 

Another option is to place all your columns first, then just break the wall(s) at your columns.  The option I don't like for this use is the body modifier, since you have to apply it to each wall component and it's not duplicative.

Message 3 of 10

I keep trying to add an opening however it extends the width of the wall. Consequently I added my HSS custom cad block with the locked X & Y axis but it still wants to cut the entire wall from inside to outside.capture_001_04092013_145922.jpg

Message 4 of 10

Openings always cut through the entire wall and all its component, so that option only works if the column is larger than the wall.  In your case, I don't know of an easy way.  I would apply the column as a body modifier subtractive to each component that the column needs to cut.  The downside is it gets pretty tedious as you have to repeat the process for each column.

Message 5 of 10

Someone, no longer with us, had originally created a solid that could be copied over the column location. The problem is this person is no longer available and i don't know how they managed to subtract the solid square mass unit from the actual wall.

The other odd thing is that AEC has columns however they dont actually cut the wall either.

Message 6 of 10

No, that's correct, structural columns don't cut openings.   However, you don't need to use a solid to apply a body modifier, although it might make it a little cleaner for you.  Just trace a polyline around your column, then right-click and convert it to a mass the same height or taller than your column.    Then select the wall, right-click, select Body Modifier and Add (also on the contextual ribbon tab).   Apply the column as a body modifier subtractive to each of the components you need to cut.   Answer "No" to erase body modifier until you are finished applying to each compenent.  You can erase the original body modifier when you are finished.  If you later select the Restore body modifier option, it will bring back the number of masses you applied to components.

Message 7 of 10

It's a mass element drawn to suit the shape of the column. I just dont know how they specifically used it on the wall.

Message 8 of 10

So I think we are a little closer. I created the mass element however the wall has large composition. The options given for the wall component are each piece of this wall (IE I cant seem to just cut the whole wall just each compoent.)

Ideas?

Message 9 of 10

I just found something. If I right click on the wall and add a interference condition/ subtractive method and select the mass it cuts the shape out

Message 10 of 10

Perfect--and you don't have to use the mass--the column works as  a body modifier also.  Forgot about that one!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost