AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My OSNAP doesn't work!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Oilymo
1754 Views, 7 Replies

My OSNAP doesn't work!

All,

I have since installing AA 2008 noticed that OSNAP does not work;

a) As it used to
b) In hidden mode

On the attached file there are two viewports, the one on the right is in 2D wire and on the left in 3D hidden. On the left viewport it is not possible to get OSNAP to select any point on the window, on the right viewport for some reason "perpendicular" has a greater priority than "end point" when trying to select a corner and I'm stumped. Basically I have to forget the settings and "force" the active command to select an endpoint, midpoint, intersection etc..

In addition I/we have noticed that OSNAP or the magnet function appears to be disabled during certain editing sub menus etc.

My UK reseller has acknowledged these bugs but I am still no further forward. It is now taking longer to do the job with AA 2008 than it used to with ADT 2006 which doesn't bode well when Autodesk have just sent us a subscription renewal notice.

Anyway has anyone else noticed this behaviour and can anyone offer a solution?

Regards

Ben
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Oilymo

I had no problems with running osnaps on the right-hand side, the left side
was a little touchy but was done too, but I can't say I ever did that on a
3D Hidden view before.

--
Dean
--
Message 3 of 8
Oilymo

Dean,

When you say touchy was there a pause a little longer than usual? I have noticed that if I hover for long enough then some times OSNAP does work but the pause can be very lengthy.

As far as reasoning goes, sometimes working in hidden view is the easiest way to see details when using an extensive amount of components etc.

The point is it used to work fine in 2006 however I notice that Adesk have invoked a nice feature of only being able to select only visible elements when in 3D Hidden and I wondered if the two problems were linked.

Regards

Ben
Message 4 of 8
Libbya

The osnaps worked for me in both viewports. That being said, I never do any actual work in hidden or realistic modes. To me they are only useful for visualization or finding intersections in a complicated drawing, but I promptly switch to wireframe for any actual work. Always have (starting with ADT 2005) just to speed the computing time. Perpendiculars have always had priority (I've been irked by that for several releases). I always have perp (perpetrator?) osnaps off as a rule and only turn them on if entirely necessary.

Andrew
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

There was a pause, about a second or two, until the Osnap icon appeared at
every location on the left side: but like I said, I never did anything like
that in a hidden 3d view before so I can't compare with previous versions.

I left my OSMODE settings intact in the file I posted.

What are your system specs?

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 6 of 8
Oilymo

PC's a Maxdata with a P4, 2GB RAM and an ATI FireGL 5200.

I think I'll turn of Perp for now and try to limit the amount of processes/steps occurring in the background.

The annoying thing is my UK reseller can reproduce the problem but Adesk don't seem to be interested.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I have the same problem, had it in 2007 too. I believe it is a display problem. The snap is working you just don't know which point it is grabbing. Depending on weather I think I can get away with it I place the curser over the point I want, hover for a moment, and select weather or not the snap is visible. It is pretty rare I don’t get the point I wanted. But I’m completely frustrated every time I do it that it doesn’t work properly.
Message 8 of 8
Oilymo

I have found that I can force the OSNAP function by selecting the required point from the toolbar, this means that the object snap under the drafting settings doesn't work in hidden mode properly and this does add excessive time to each project.

Can anyone from Adesk advise how I escalate this to you as an official bug?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost