AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MText time waster - Arial Font Substitution in dimensions...

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
AndyTektonikaVT
978 Views, 13 Replies

MText time waster - Arial Font Substitution in dimensions...

Hello...so my problem is quite a time waster and is super annoying.  Everytime I select Mtext, specifically in a dimension, Autocad 2010 Arch automatically switches the highlighted (computed measurement) text to Arial before I've done anything.  So everytime I have to edit a dimension Mtext, I have to reselect the computed dimension (<> / highlighted text), then select the correct text style again to get it back to the correct text style I'm using (FluxArch ttf).  All of my text styles in the file have no association w/ Arial, and all the dimension styles rely on the text styles...so I'm stumped.  Do I need to repair Autocad due to it Mtext editor being corrupted or something to get it to work properly again?  Thx in advance to reponders.  😉

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Do you have the FluxArch ttf located in a folder which is on the search path of Acad?

Message 3 of 14
pendean
in reply to: AndyTektonikaVT

TTF Fonts must be properly installed and registered in Windows (which makes the font available in all applications): nothing to do with the above tip from Leo.
So, is this font available for use in other applications on your PC? Is your current active DIMSTYLE set to use a text STYLE with that font defines in it? Do you have a text STYLE in the file defined with that font? From your description you are manually overriding a font, which tells me your text style is not defined correctly.
Message 4 of 14
AndyTektonikaVT
in reply to: pendean

So yeah, the .ttf file I want to use for everything (fluxarchitect) is in the default ACA fonts folder, and installed/Added to windows correctly as my other programs (i.e. photoshop, word) use it fine.  And my text styles are all seemingly defined correctly.  The odd part is that Arial is associated w/ none of them!  There isn't a single text style that uses Arial in my files, yet it's being substituted in the dimension where ACA is computing distance & automatically creating the measurement and creating the text display, no matter what dimension style I use.  Still confused how to resolve this sillyness.  It just started doing it one day...  My ACA installation alsohas all the program updates to date too, fyi... 😕

Message 5 of 14
pendean

>>>...It just started doing it one day...<<<
So is it a file-centric problem? or a recent system /addon change? Post a DWG file with the problem with notes on how to recreate the issue (also include the TTF font file).

Message 6 of 14

ACA started doing it sometime around when I installed and started using this fluxarchitect.ttf that I've attached.  We were up until that point only using .shx text types. 

It's simple to make it happen, for me anyways...  Just use mtext editor on the dimension, and ACA automatically selects the automatically determined dimension & changes it to arial before I can do anything (yet stating that it's the "standard" text tyle, which it isn't as I've set "standard to fluxarchitect.ttf).  So annoying!  Thx for the help!

ps.  I'm assuming it's a bad .ttf file...maybe re-download and re-install into windows?  I know when I tried to copy it out of the windows "fonts" system folder it wouldn't work for the attachement here, had to pull it from my default ACA "fonts" folder under program files/ACA2010

pps. I am unallowed to attach .ttf's!  Hrrrmph!!! 😕

Message 7 of 14

Problematic dims .dwg attached, I think...

Message 8 of 14
pendean

ZIP it then post it 🙂

Message 9 of 14
AndyTektonikaVT

.zip attached, hopefully... 😉

Message 10 of 14

I had a look at this yesterday.

Downloaded the Flux Architect.ttf font and installed in my windows/fonts folder.

It has the same odd behaviour as you describe where it substitutes the aerial font.

I have no idea what causes this.

Message 11 of 14
pendean
in reply to: leothebuilder

Same here: seems to be a problem font.

Message 12 of 14
leothebuilder

As a side note....this only happens when editing the text of a dimension. (shouldn't override a dimension text anyway, naughty)

As plain Mtext or DText the font displays no such problem.

Message 13 of 14
ESM_David

We are experiencing the exact same thing when editing dimensions using Flux Architect.  Even if we edit a dimension, make NO changes, and save the edit, the font still changes to Arial.  The "Text override" in properties is then populated with the following: {\fArial|b0|i0|c0|p34;<>}

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?

Thanks

Message 14 of 14
pendean
in reply to: ESM_David

>>>... editing dimensions using Flux Architect...<<<

Custom fonts that AutoCAD cannot find when a session is open is often the culprit: the challenge is to identify where the font was dropped, what format the font file actually is, if it's compliant to work with AutoCAD/ACA (not all TTFs are) which more often tan not is the other problem with fonts getting substituted.

Note that everyone that already answered is basically telling you to stay way from these problem fonts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost