AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving AutoCAD attribute data to ACA space property sets

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
roadee
413 Views, 4 Replies

Moving AutoCAD attribute data to ACA space property sets

I am trying to find a way to programmatically move our AutoCAD room tag attribute data to new AEC space property sets. I work in a hospital that has approx. 1 million s.f. and over 3000 rooms. Obviously a daunting task to do room by room. Any suggestions on tips or tricks that I might try? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
leothebuilder
in reply to: roadee

The space PSD attaches to the AEC space objects.

Moving your existing room attribute data programmaticlly to a space PSD is not going to help you very much.

You would still have a inserts 3000 space objects with the attacheds space PSD's.

Then you would still have to manually edit the room names and other variable data.

Are the remainder of your plans in AEC objects like walls, windows etc. or are they just plain autocad lines?

Message 3 of 5
roadee
in reply to: leothebuilder

Thanks for your reply leo. I already have the spaces defined and inserted into the floor plan (I am just using one test floor plan at present). I used some exsting polylines as bounding regions and filled them all with spaces.

The problem I am having is transferring the current attribute data from some old room tag blocks left over from an old Archibus program. I am currently replacing one attribute at a time, i.e. floor, bldg. cost center, department, room name, room number, etc.

It seems that since each property set that I have defined corresponds to an old attribute value, there must be some way to link the two. I understand that property set definitions are different from attributes and some manual input would be required to identify what room tag would correspond to a specific space, but I can't believe that Autodesk or some other programmer has not produced some kind of routine to help simplify the process.

Message 4 of 5
leothebuilder
in reply to: roadee

I think that a programmable way to transfer data from block attributes to a PSD would take a lot of time to develop and debug. Probably more time than transferring this manually. There are way too many variables.

How many attributes do you have per room ?

Message 5 of 5
roadee
in reply to: leothebuilder

Since this is just for space inventory purposes, I only have about 7 or 8 properties per space that I need to fill. The old attributed blocks have many more.

My thought was that our room tags have attributes and attributes have tag names. My space defintions have objects and objects have names. These tags and objects are constants even though their value is variable. It seems I should be able to extract the value from one and transfer it to the other. Of course I realize I would need to customizea program to read my tag and object names.

What I am currently doing is selecting spaces by Select Similar and working globally down through floor, building, department and commom room names then finally, room numbers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost