AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move View from one Sheet to Another

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Libbya
2050 Views, 5 Replies

Move View from one Sheet to Another

I'm currently working with ACA 2013.  Is it possible to move views from one sheet to another and keep the callout fields linked/updated?  If so, then what's the trick?  If I expand the sheet in project manager so I can see the views and try to drag to another sheet in project navigator I get the red slashed circle.  Similarly, if I drag open the other sheet drawing and try to drag the view from the one sheet onto the other sheet drawing I also get the red slashed circle.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: Libbya

The reason I ask is because I have always thought it was not possible having tried to do so in ACA versions from 2005 to 2013 with always the same result.  The red slashed circle of NO.  Then I saw this:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-architecture/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcart...

It seems to imply that you CAN move a view from one sheet to another and that the field linked often DO update.  

Message 3 of 6
David_W_Koch

Apologies, I do not have access to an installed version of ACA 2013.  But in ACA 2014, I was able to successfully move a detail that had been placed on one Sheet to another Sheet and get the references to update.

I followed the procedure outlined at the bottom of the Knowledge Network article to which you linked:

To minimize the occurrence of this issue:

• Save and close all project files.
  • Delete the View to be moved from its original Sheet.
  • Save and close that Sheet.
  • Create or open the new Sheet.
  • Place the View on the new Sheet.
  • Save and close.
  • Refresh the project.

Unfortunately, in my case, this still did not update the view or detail title references.  But rather than going through the rather long procedure of manually editing each attribute and redirecting each field, you can open the view file that has a non-updated view reference(s).  Set the Sheets tab active in the Project Navigator and, in the Sheet Set View, expand the tree so that you can see the sheet to which you moved the view and the views under it.  Drag each view reference that needs to be updated and drop in on the view to which it should be linked, and the attribute value(s) should update accordingly.  For Title Marks, there are two separate reference blocks, one with the circle and detail number, and the other with the detail title and scale.  Each will need to be dragged and dropped onto the appropriate view under the Sheet. 

Not sure why the Knowledge Network article does not suggest dragging and dropping the reference in Project Navigator.  Maybe that does not work in vanilla AutoCAD but it has in ACA as long as I can remember.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 6
ntellery

A little off topic but you use to be able to cut & paste a viewport from one tab to another and it would retain the viewport settings (layer states etc).  This seems to be now lost and just pastes the viewport but without the layer settings.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ntellery

I didn't realise you could cut and paste viewports with layer settings to another layout at some stage.

Tricked up a series of lisp in acaddoc.lsp to run in live viewport to set vplayer settings for a specific drawing type

Example :

;VIEWPORT SETTINGS FOR STORMWATER PLAN LAYOUT
(defun c:3V ()
    (COMMAND "-LAYER" "m" "0" "")
    (COMMAND "-LAYER" "T" "*" "N" "" "")
    (COMMAND "-LAYER" "ON" "*" "N" "" "")
    (COMMAND "vpLAYER" "F" "*" "" "")
    (COMMAND "vpLAYER" "T" "0,0-WALL,0-FLOOR,0-SPANNING,0-Site,0-Site-Tx,0-ROOF,3-DRAINAGE" "" "")
    (COMMAND "-AECDisplayConfigSetCurrent" "Low Detail")

)

The number of layers I use is pretty small, so easy to understand and manipulate.

Message 6 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks David.  I did try the step-by-step that they posted at the end of the article and my results were the same as yours and the same as I've ever seen.  The links all get broken.  That has always been my experience I was just surprised that the page seemed to infer that moving views from one sheet to another could be done and maintain the links.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost