AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying Blocks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
charrhy
226 Views, 3 Replies

Modifying Blocks

Newbie Question

I have created an generic plan view window block.  My idea is to insert it using the insertion point at one side of the window opening and then stretch it to fit to the opening length by selecting with grips and drag stretching.

Problem is I cannot stretch the block and if I try to do it via BEDIT I will have to use BEDIT every time I want to create a new window

I can:

1. Insert the block
  2. Explode the block
  3. Select grips (Blue)
  4. Shift select relevant grips (red)
  5. Drag to fit

But what a pain

Is there a way I can modify the inserted block without changing the parent

I know this might sound like a dumbo question but "Luddites of the World Unite"

Any help appreciated

Charrhy

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: charrhy

What program are you using - AutoCAD Architecture or vanilla AutoCAD?  If the former, use a Window object.  If the latter, look into Dynamic Blocks.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4
charrhy
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David

I'm using ACad12 Student Edition

C

Message 4 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: charrhy

@charrhy wrote:

David

I'm using ACad12 Student Edition

C

If you are using vanilla AutoCAD, then Dynamic Blocks are the way to go, if you want to have one block definition for your window representation that can be grip-edited to different sizes.  I use AutoCAD Architecture (the subject software of this forum), so I use Window objects to perform a similar function.  I have never had to master Dynamic Blocks, so I cannot offer much help there.  But I can note that the out-of-the-box tool palettes in vanilla AutoCAD have an Architecture tab that have several sample Dynamic Blocks, including a plan view and an elevation view of a window.  The graphics may not be exactly what you want, but the examples will at least demonstrate some of what can be done with Dynamic Blocks.  There is a dedicated forum for Dynamic Blocks, where you can search  for answers to questions already asked and post new questions of your own:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/bd-p/154

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost