AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model space views & Intelligent tags

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BrockJRW
303 Views, 3 Replies

Model space views & Intelligent tags

Wth our uprgrade from 2004 Desktop to ACA 2013 I am wanting to start using Model Space Views (new to me) and Intelligent tags.

Currently for a sheet of details lets say. We draw all our details in a view sheet. We have them all laid out in that view the way we want them to be on the sheet. We then drag that view into the sheet in 1 viewport and then insert the title marks (as an editable block) on the sheet drawing and adjust the titile blocks as needed.

Obviously as the project progresses and new info is added you sometimes have to go back and move things around and this changes the title marks on the sheet and also any detail, section or elevation callouts. Our old way you have to go in and manually change all this. Model view spaces and intelligent tags will take all this work out and all we will have to do is adjust the title block on the shee and everything else will update. Also taking advantage of the annotation scaling.

So, my concern is this. Currently I try to keep my viewports to a minimum. In this example above I could do this with 1 VP. If we use model space views they way they are supposed to be used I could have 15 viewports in my sheet drawing instead of just one. Now the intelligence of this is VERY exciting to me but am I going to suffer with having so many VP's in my sheet? Are Model VIew Spaces treated the same as a regular VP in regards to regenerating?

You are going to see a lot of me here for the next couple of weeks as I try to figure out everything that is new to us and implement this into our office so I appreciate all the help. Hopefully once I get up to speed I can pay my knowledge forward here. ACA 2013 is going to be my life for the forseeable future.

Thanks,

RW

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BrockJRW

Are you using the Drawing Management feature (Project Manager, Project Navigator)?

I have not used the Drawing Management feature on a "real" project, so I cannot answer your question regarding multiple viewports, which you would get if you are looking to link callouts to drawing/detail numbers and sheets.  But I know many others here do use the feature, and should be able to give you a real-world answer.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4
BrockJRW
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Yes, I forgot to mention that in my post. I am using the project navigator.

Just curious, how do you manage your drawings if you don't use the navigator? 

Message 4 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BrockJRW

Old school - manually.  External references are done manually, as are detail references.  We generally break files down into just two types, model files and sheet files (some people have issues with even that division, but it makes generating background drawings for our engineers a lot easier, so most people are on board with that).

When Project Navigator et al were first introduced, the powers that be would not allow working on a file directly from a network folder.  We had an application that allowed you to "check out" a file, and you would work on a copy on your local drive.  When done, the application checked it back in, copying the modified file to the network and deleting the local copy.

That policy pretty much prevented the use of the Drawing Management feature.  Fast-forwarding to today, we do allow working on files directly on the network, but our efforts to deploy "new features" is focused on Revit these days; work on CAD procedures is mostly limited to maintenance.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost