AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials not showing up in Autocad Architecture 2010

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rewart7007
5468 Views, 4 Replies

Materials not showing up in Autocad Architecture 2010

I am using Autocad Architecture and am attempting to use 3-D for the first time.  The program opens and runs fine, and it allows me to create objects with no issue.  However, when I try to apply materials to an object, the materials do not show up.  The materials/textures tab is turned on, I can see the loaded materials, and the style is set to realistic.  Even when I choose the material option "select objects with this material", it selects them as if the material is applied.  The material does not show up either on screen or when rendered.  Any solutions/help to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
KathyMoffa
in reply to: rewart7007

Materials are not applied directly to AEC objects, and instead are set in the Materials tab in the object's Style.    The easiest way to start is to use the AEC objects provided on the tool palettes and in the Content Browser  that already have materials applied, along with the AEC Material tools in the Visualization catalog.      To see what materials are already in your drawing, right click an object, for example, a door, select Edit Door Style, select the Materials Tab, click the Material name and you will get a drop-down list of all AEC materials that are currently in your drawing.    To bring a new AEC material into your drawing, simply drag it from the Content Browser, click in your drawing and press escape.    The material is now in your drawing available for use.    With AEC objects, you have the option to edit the style  or edit  only the object display.      Change the style when you want it to appear everywhere, i.e., all doors.  Change the object if you only want to see the material on a single object, i.e.,  one single door.      You can also add existing materials from the Materials Browser, or create new ones in the Material Browser.  In this case, you are required to export the material to an active tool palette before bringing it into your drawing.        It is more difficult to work with non-AEC materials as the display configurations won't be as expected, so it's best to study the existing AEC materials first,   and create new ones by duplicating the existing one that's closest to what you want.

Message 3 of 5
rewart7007
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Thank you very much for the response. I understand now how to add a material from the palette to make sure it is in the drawing for use. Due to this I can add it to an object under the styles tab and it applies it to the whole object (for example it wraps the material around all sides of a box). What I would like to be able to do is add it to only one surface of an object. The following is a link to a video on Youtube in which it adds a material to only one surface of an object. In all, the method used by the author of the video is different from yours and I am just wondering why the method in the video will not work for me. Whenever I try to add a material that is already added to the drawing under the materials menu (added from the palette), it does not apply visbly to the object and just stays the same. In summary I would like to know why I am not currently able to add materials to an object like in the video link I have attached. A response is much appreciated. (Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wWTUZliQcM)
Message 4 of 5
KathyMoffa

The example in the video is using AutoCAD solids, not AutoCAD Architecture AEC objects.  With AutoCAD Architecture, you have both plain AutoCAD and also  the Architecture AEC objects.    If you enter the command, BOX,  or select the Box from the Solids tab on the ribbon, you will get an AutoCAD solid.  If you enter the command, MASSELEMENTADD, or select the box from the Masses tool palette in the Design tool, you will get an AEC object.  With the Solids box, you can apply materials directly to the entire box or to individual faces.  With the Masses box, you have to add and change materials by its Style, and you cannot select a specific face. 

Masses do not have components; however, with other AEC objects as Walls, you can apply different materials to each component of the wall, so that you can have a wall that is brick on the exterior and drywall on the interior.    Doors, windows, walls, slabs, roofs, etc. are all AutoCAD Architecture objects.  Solids and surfaces are vanilla AutoCAD.  

Message 5 of 5
rewart7007

Thank you very much for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost