AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Section not showing on sheet??

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Horizonliner
433 Views, 6 Replies

Live Section not showing on sheet??

I have created a live section in a view drawing, but when I drag the view drawing onto a sheet file, it does not display. Reading up on this from Autodesk, it states that I must apply a display configuration override on the sheet, to that xref, to  show the live section (http://docs.autodesk.com/ARCHDESK/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WScedd0d2069f88934b1c260fa2565f2a6-7fe6.h...)

However, I right click on the xref as asked, but it does not give me the option to do this.... something is wrong? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: Horizonliner

Right click on the xref and select "Edit Object Display".  In the dialog box that appears there's a check box to override the display configuration and a list of the display configurations in the source file.  Select the display configuration you used for the live section display.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 3 of 7
Horizonliner
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

Thanks but I am not getting this: 

- "right click on the xref" - Where? On the sheet file? On the view drawing? On the External references list in the view drawing? 

- When I click on the xref in the sheet file, I do not get this dialog box, only when I click on individual xrefs that form part of the view drawing, then this option works...

Message 4 of 7
John.W.Mumaw

Yes, the view drawing is where you should set a display override.  Right click on the xref itself.  The sheet drawing should display whatever overrides you have set in the view drawing.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Message 5 of 7
Horizonliner

Thanks - and set it to what - any override of my choice or is a particular override required to get the live section to work? There are many x refs that make up the view drawing, do they all need to be clicked on and overriden?

Message 6 of 7
John.W.Mumaw

Well, I was wrong on two counts.  First I misread your original post and thought you were trying to get the override to show in the  view file.  Secondly and most important live sections apparently don't  come through as view overrides.  I know I've done this before but it's been long enough I needed to try it again to remember the steps.  You'll need the live section in your sheet file.  Either create it there or copy the section line from your view file to your sheet file and recreate the live section.  If the live section is dependent on any special display configurations you'll need to make sure they are also in your sheet file.  I've just tried this on a recently completed project so this should work.  Sorry for the confusion.

Note that live sections won't work on any xrefs that already have view overrides.  So if you have any view overrides already on existing on some of the xrefs you'll need to remove them.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Message 7 of 7
Horizonliner

Thanks again. For some reason, when I set up the whole thing froms scratch, I got the live section to work on the sheet without having to change any display configurations or anything. I just re-built my view drawing, and that must have got rid of some bug or other! 

What I'm trying to do now, which I've posted a topic in the visualization forum about, is to overlay a linework elevation onto the rendered live section, so effectively, I've got a 2d linework drawing which sits on top of a rendered live section, and thus creates an attractive elevation for planning purposes.  But now, when I drag one xref on top of the other, it completely covers it. Not sure if there is a way I can get the background of the xref to be transparent so it doesnt cover the xref that is below?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost