AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lisp. any suggestions on learning?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cadtastrophe
344 Views, 5 Replies

lisp. any suggestions on learning?

Hey all, this might not be the best place to ask but I know several of you are fluent in lisp. I need to learn it, should I just pick up a book (if so which one).

The question is really where to begin for someone who has never learned a programming language. Thanks for any input.

Jeff

oh... if it matters our office is currently running ACA 2009. We have 2010 but not running any projects on it currently.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: cadtastrophe

Did you install the AutoLISP tutorial when you installed the program? I am not certain that is part of the default installation. I would suggest doing the tutorial as a reasonable starting point. I am afraid that the last AutoLISP book I bought was for Release 11, so I am not going to be much use on recommending a book. (I also still have the printed manual for AutoLISP from Release 12.) The Help files also are worth having a look through. There should still be a section that discusses groups of commands with similar purposes, which is quite helpful when deciding which one you want.

I would also recommend learning to use the VLIDE (Visual LISP Integrated Development Environment, or something like that). Back when I had more time for LISP programming, I used to use a text editor and then tried to debug by loading the routine and see what happened. The VLIDE will help you by letting you format your file with the click of a button, check matching parentheses and run the program to a designated stopping point and then step through line-by-line while watching variable values to determine the location of a problem.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
cadtastrophe

Thanks David, I didn't even think of the tutorial. I have been using CAD so long without ever venturing into lisp I didn't even realize that there was a tutorial...
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I would suggest avoiding the tutorial (sorry David).
As a fellow alisp learner I found the tutorial the most rediculous bunch of
hooha I've ever read.
You type a whole heap of not understandable stuff to accomplish a simple
task and no explaination of the multiple lines you just laboroursly typed.
I learnt NOTHING from that tut except how badly someone can stuff a tutorial
up. It only demonstrates that not everyone is a teacher.

Go register at AUGI and search the AutoLISP NG. At the top are some great
links to downloadable alisp tutorials which start with the basics and work
thru in a logical fashion and have helped me write some basic lisp routines.
Also just google and you will get some good results.

www.afralisp.net
http://www.jefferypsanders.com/autolisp.html

wrote in message news:6303838@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks David, I didn't even think of the tutorial. I have been using CAD so
long without ever venturing into lisp I didn't even realize that there was a
tutorial...
Message 5 of 6
David_W_Koch

You may be correct - I did the tutorial around the time I bought that Release 11 book, so that was before any of the VLISP functions were available (or the VLIDE). I probably got more out of the book (which I do not believe I ever worked all of the way through, either). I should also point out that I took several computer programming classes in college (using PL/C and Fortran), so I was already familiar with the basics of programming (linear programming, anyway), and only needed to understand the specifics of AutoLISP.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 6

Online training is another option. If you are interested, please contact me.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost