AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lineweight Overrides

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
doug.mayer
3470 Views, 6 Replies

Lineweight Overrides

Hi,

I am doing some government work and they have their own CTB file and also tons of layers that we have reproduced. I'm running into a problem in terms of plotting based on these layers using their CTB and it looking like crap. My question comes down to lineweight priority and precedence -- does the lineweight setting in the Layer Manager override the lineweight of the color in the CTB? Or the other way around?

TIA
Doug Mayer, SE
CAD Systems Manager
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: doug.mayer

You should not have both in use, use one or the other, or conflicts pop up
everywhere.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 7
doug.mayer

I agree, but as I said, these are layers and CTB file from the government agency, so I don't get to choose. I am trying to determine which lineweight setting governs at the time of plot -- the Layer Manager lineweight or the CTB lineweight?
Doug Mayer, SE
CAD Systems Manager
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

You must have lineweights set by object/layer and in the CTB file?

The greater setting rules has been my experience: that's why it's a mess to
have both. Not sure how that can help if you cannot change anything... .

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 5 of 7
David_W_Koch

Ultimately, the plot style (CTB or STB) settings govern. If the lineweights are hard-coded in the plot style file, then that is what you will get.

If the plot styles are set to use object lineweight, then the drawing settings come into play. If all of your objects are set up to be lineweight "ByLayer" (or, for nested objects, "ByBlock"), then the lineweight setting on the layer (as viewable in the Layer Manager) will govern. If individual objects (or, for AEC objects, individual components) have hard-coded lineweights, then those will govern, not the layer settings.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 7
CADDESIGNER3
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Good Morning David:

I have "sort of" the same problem but it is more general in terms of a local office of a big corporation using different layers/ctb files.  We have been instructed to utilize the same ctb file/lineweights as the corporation does.

I am going to bullet your comments to make sure I understand what you have written and ask for clarification on some.

Generally: Plot Style (CTB or STB) settings govern.

If the plot styles are set to use object lineweight, then the drawing settings come into play.  Drawing Settings: Meaning "Layer settings"?

If all of your objects are set up to be lineweight "ByLayer" (or, for nested objects, "ByBlock"), then the lineweight setting on the layer (as viewable in

the Layer Manager) will govern. 

If individual objects (or, for AEC objects, individual components) have hard-coded lineweights, then those will govern, not the layer settings.

Thanks in advance for your patience and your assistance.

Larry

Message 7 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: CADDESIGNER3

Drawing Settings means just that, Drawing Settings.  If a lineweight is set in the Plot Style, then that is what will be used, regardless of any settings in the drawing.  If the Plot Style is set to use object lineweights, then the effective lineweight set in the drawing will be used, based on the following heirarchy:

The lineweight set on a main object's layer will be applied, if the lineweight of the main object is set to By Layer.

If a specific lineweight is set on a main object, then that lineweight will be applied, not the layer lineweight.

Objects nested within "complex objects" have an additional possible setting, By Block.  Complex objects include block references and AEC objects that have components.

• If the nested object lineweight is set to By Block, then the lineweight of the parent object will be applied (which, in turn, could be ByLayer or explicitly set).
  • If the nested object lineweight is set to By Layer, then the lineweight of the nested object's layer will govern.  A special case for a By Layer setting on a nested object exists, when the layer of the nested object is "0"; in that case, the parent object's layer properties are applied, including lineweight.
  • If the nested object has an explicit lineweight set, then that will govern.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost