AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Properties Manager not working

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Pat_03
18270 Views, 17 Replies

Layer Properties Manager not working

When I click on Layer Properties Manager, I do not get the layers palette. The same goes for typing layerpalette in command.

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
tschau3
in reply to: Pat_03

It could be coming up off the screen somewhere.  Try this:  Alt + spacebar > M, and then use your arrow keys to move it back to your screen.

Message 3 of 18
bhupendra50

When I click on Layer Properties Manager, I do not get the layers palette. I can get it by typing 'classiclayer' or 'layerpalette' commands. Any solutions. I am working in AutoCad 2009. 

thank you.

Message 4 of 18
matthellfish

In 2012 the "classiclayer" command works great, but "layerpalette" does not.  It is working, but you have to click in each field to see the box (like white text on white background).  This makes it nearly impossible to work with, but "classiclayer" can handle most of the needed functions.  Also using Windows 7, and haven't updated AutoCAD 2012 online at all since release.  Perhaps this problem has been fixed.

Message 5 of 18
matthellfish
in reply to: matthellfish

Attached image to show better.  The classlayer is seen in front with all the layer, while the layerpalette behind appears to be blank (you have to click on each cell to see something, which then disappears after another cell is clicked).

Message 6 of 18
carrt
in reply to: tschau3

I experience this exact same problem intermittently.  Have you discovered a fix?

I am running AutoCad Architecture 2012 on Windows 7 Professional with nVidia GT 440 on 2 screens.  ( keep all of the AC functions on one screen).

-Frustrated

Message 7 of 18
carrt

I experience this exact same problem intermittently.  Have you discovered a fix?

I am running AutoCad Architecture 2012 on Windows 7 Professional with nVidia GT 440 on 2 screens.  ( keep all of the AC functions on one screen).

-Frustrated

Message 8 of 18
nanookthepuppy

I had same problem. Classiclayer worked for 2012 version! thank you 

Message 9 of 18
alicata
in reply to: nanookthepuppy

Having tha same problem with AutoCAD 2015. "classiclayer" command works but you can't dock it, which is inconvenient. I will continue looking for a fix. It was happening intermittently, and I would simply restart the program. Now, it happens continuousy. 

Message 10 of 18
ghlad

Why is Autodesk so incompetent at managing all the various windows that are needed to use Civil 3D?  How is it possible for a window like Layer Properties Manager to dissappear off screen?  The Alt+spacebar>m and arrows trick does not work to bring it back.  Why doesn't auto-hide work?  When it does work it takes forever to gtf out of my way! Unchecking auto-hide undocks the window!  Now Autodesk's incompetence is causing me to waste time trying to get it back. The Knowledge Desk solution to delete the Layer Manger registry key did not work either! Smiley Mad

Greg

Civil 3D 2020
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 @ 3.20 GHz
64-bit OS 16 GB RAM

"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?" Ursula K. Le Guin, brainyquote.com
Message 11 of 18
ghlad
in reply to: ghlad

The only way to get my Layer Properties Manager window back was to hover my mouse at the edge of the screen until the cursor changed to the resize tool, then drag the edge of the wayward window onto the screen.  After restoring all docked windows where I had them before I locked them and all my toolbars into place by entering LOCKUI on the Command line and changing the system variable to 15 (combination of all locked options).

If you are new to Civil 3D, as I am, it is helpful to know the LOCKUI system variable and its options:

0 = Toolbars and windows not locked
1 = Docked toolbars locked
2 = Docked or anchored windows locked
4 = Floating toolbars locked
8 = Floating windows locked
Greg

Civil 3D 2020
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 @ 3.20 GHz
64-bit OS 16 GB RAM

"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?" Ursula K. Le Guin, brainyquote.com
Message 12 of 18
GregWaters1
in reply to: ghlad

I just had the same problem 1-9-2017. I tried the CLASSICLAYER and got a Layer Manager on screen. Did that a couple of times and then I noticed that my Button on the Panel finally started working again. Prior to that when I tried the button I just got black bands across the screen.

Don't understand why, I got it working again, but was definitely a frustrating moment.

Thanks for the help 

Message 13 of 18
alicata
in reply to: GregWaters1

We have just been closing the Layer Properties Manager and then closing AutoCAD and opening it again.

Sincerely,
ANDREA LICATA
Pre AICE Design and Technology
AICE Design and Technology
Technical Design I, II and III
Advanced Technology Applications
District Technical Design PLC Facilitator
Pasco High School
36850 State Road 52
Dade City, Florida 33525
(352) 524-5500
[cid:DD1AF32A-840D-4599-9A52-252901894232]
Message 14 of 18
kepano530
in reply to: alicata

Another sure fire way of resolving this is to right-click on a column heading and select at the bottom 'Restore all columns to defaults'.

Works everytime 🙂

Message 15 of 18
alicata
in reply to: kepano530

Thanks. I'll give it a try next time it happens!
Message 16 of 18
jeremy.bayness

I had the same issue and none of the proposed methods resolved the issue for me. What I ended up doing to fix it:

1. Close out of all Autodesk apps and services

2. Delete the Autodesk folder located here C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\ folder (View -> Hidden Items must be enabled to see the AppData folder)

3. Launch AutoCad 

This resolved the issue for me. The user will have to re-do their preferences as those are wiped along with that folder.  

System info:

Windows 10

AutoCad Lt 2018

Message 17 of 18

I think the fix for this is to go through the CUI interface, go to your current workspace, once the contents is showed on the right-hand side, go to palettes, then to layer property manager, then under the appearance, change the orientation (to left or right) and docking to 'yes' and show to 'yes' if you want for good measure, apply, and hopefully all is good and it now appears. If not, you may want to change your workspace to another and then flick back.

From there you can stick it where you wish, so to speak 🙂

Message 18 of 18

Just got a new laptop that has Autocad v2017 loaded and am absolutely disgusted with obnoxious changes that have cost me hours to overcome and still can't get the layer properties  palette to operate as it did before.

I do a lot of editing across all the layers, so in my prior v2015 I left the palette open (NOT hidden)

I was eventually able to get the layer palette to dock but it's default  status was set to auto-hide and when I attempted to turn that off, it undocked EVERY TIME.

I have followed some other instructions and got what was referred to as classic layer, (a dialog) but that is not the same as the layer properties palette, as the 'classiclayer' is seen by acad as a tool that has to be exited, not left open.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost