AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Manager-Lineweight-Plot Style-STB

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2744 Views, 4 Replies

Layer Manager-Lineweight-Plot Style-STB

In a drawing set to use .STB, setting a lineweight in the Lineweight column of Layer manager has no effect on the plotted appearance of the drawing, correct?  The Lineweight column is overridden by the lineweight set in the .STB, correct?  Is there any point in setting values in the Lineweight column if LWDISPLAY is kept off?

Dan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
leothebuilder
in reply to: Anonymous

From what I understand the lineweight column has no effect on the plot style setting. To me it appears the lineweight setting on set the displayed line weight if you use the lineweight display toggle. I actually hide the lineweight column in the layer manager

Message 3 of 5
David_W_Koch

It all depends upon how your plot styles are setup.  This applies to both STB and CTB plot style types.  If your plot style has a specific lineweight assigned to it, then that lineweight will be used, no matter what lineweight settings you make in the drawing (to the layer or directly to the object).  But, if your plot style has the lineweight set to "Use object lineweight", then the effective lineweight assigned to the object in the drawing will govern.

LWDISPLAY only affects how objects are displayed on screen, not how they plot.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 5
GREENSTUDIO

We combine  allot of our sections and details form many manufacturer sources, so what is the recommended method to control line weights when making new layers and objects not from AutoCAD Architecture to manage line weight differences in plotting? 

Whats the best practice to manage lineweights to plot nice line differentiated detail drawings?

Use object lineweight?

LWDISPLAY to ____?

and do you set object color by layer?

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: GREENSTUDIO

I rarely use anything obtained from a manufacturer "as is".  Any time saved up front is quickly lost in trying to manage non-office-standard layers and trying get it to plot as desired.  Most of this content is not set up to work with the out-of-the-box ACA plot settings.  Depending upon the content, I will either move everything I want to keep to Layer 0 and make the attributes of all of the objects ByBlock, WBLOCK it out to a separate file and then insert that into my file, on a layer of my choosing, or, if the linework wants to be on separate layers, I will create office-standard layers, move the linework I want to the appropriate office-standard layer, change the attributes of all of those objects to ByLayer, WBLOCK what I want out to a separate file and then insert that into my file.

Drawings from outside sources are often set up to use color-dependent plot styles, so I often have to convert the file to use named plot styles before embarking on either of the paths noted above.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost