AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot see doors in 2d wireframe

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
lucas-michael
2056 Views, 7 Replies

I cannot see doors in 2d wireframe

I am in 2d wireframe, top view with 116' cut plane working on a 10' wall residential building plan.

When I insert the default doors from Architecture and place it into a wall, I can set the properties and place it but I do not see the windows or doors in the walls.

In 3d view I can see the window but I cannot see the door at all, it's just an opening.  I made sure I was using the right door style and set swing amount, but it's not showing anything.

Please help!

edit:  I used to use ADT but it has been 6 years or so since I have, this is a brand new install of architecture.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: lucas-michael

Post the DWG file (delete any sensitive info).

Message 3 of 8

Here it is so far very basic, my boss just had me leave out the doors in his print out for now, but I added a door so you can see.  thank you!!! 

Message 4 of 8

Your Walls start at an elevation of 0'-0" and are less than 10'-0" high (9'-7 7/16").  Why would you set your cut plane at 116'-0"?  At that height, nothing in your model is being cut.  The Door/Window Assembly you inserted (Standard Style, with some really bizarre component dimensions - such as the 50" square Frame) does not include a Door in the infill.  In the Plan High Detail Display Representation for Door/Window Assemblies, the Below component is turned off, and since your cut plane is so high, nothing of the Door/Window Assembly shows.

Your Display Below Range (part of the Global Cut Plane setting is just -25'-0", so your entire model is out of the viewing range, but since you have Automatically Choose Above and Below Cut Plane Heights checked on the Cut Plane tab in the Plan High Detail Display Representation for Walls, the Walls and the opening cut for the Door/Window Assembly to display.  Because the Walls are completely below the cut plane, they display in Color 132, which is the color assigned to the Below Cut Plane component (which is turned on).

Was this file started from an out-of-the-box template?  Was there some attempt to convert to or from a metric template?  Have you been mixing imperial and metric content, and allowing AutoCAD Architecture to scale it to accommodate the differing units?  (Your current drawing scale is 1:8'-4", which is in imperial units, but not a standard imperial scale - it translates to 1:100, which is a standard metric scale.)  Too many of the other settings are way off from the expected ones, as well.

The attached ZIP file contains an AutoCAD Architecture 2013 file that is the file you posted, with the cut plane height set to a more reasonable 3'-6".  The Door/Window Assembly shows up (with its huge frames) and the Walls display in the color of the Shrink Wrap component, now that the Cut Plane passes through the Walls.  This file needs more help than just that, but I do not know what your intent is, so this is as far as I am going to take it.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 8

Yes it was a template file that came with the initial install, I was pretty sure scaling was the one thing I knew I had right.

You answered everything I need to know.  I haven't used this program in so long I thought I would pick it up faster but you just made me *palm face*.  Thank you so much!!!!!  And especially thank you for the resaved file.  Can't thank you enough man, if you ever need any design or web work, let me know and I will hook you up THANK YOU!

Message 6 of 8

Please I have a problem too. My doors can me seen in the top view but I can't see my windows so I'm kind of confused. Should I please upload the DWG file? Thank you.

Message 7 of 8

@fosterasante10:  Yes, please attach a sample file that includes the problem you are having.  Most likely, the Windows are located entirely above the cut plane.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 8

Hi @fosterasante10,

You might try the solution outlined in this article:

If that doesn't work, post your DWG file here and we'll be happy to take a look.

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost