AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Move Entire Wall Segment & a Few Other Questions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
WorkingDobermann
1559 Views, 4 Replies

How to Move Entire Wall Segment & a Few Other Questions

Newbie here on 2015 version, day 2 of learning.....

I've been googling and watching videos, but so far, I've not seen answers to how to do these few things.

1. On the attached image, I am trying to move the entire segment of walls on the eastern side in with one command to shorten up the width of the area.  Surely there is a better way than selecting each segment and reducing them individually by the same amount, isn't there?

trash.jpg

2. On the above, what is the red circle?  It appeared after I played with 3d.

3. When I use the AREA command and select Add, then pick all my points, it then tells me the square footage.  That's great, but each time as I modify the drawing, I have to reselect the same area over and over.  I'm sure there is a way to make it remember the area and adjust it each time I move the location of a wall, isn't there?

4. How do I get it to automatically always show interior dims?  I want exact wall lengths.  I don't want it compensating for halfway into the walls, etc.  I do the measure, but it does not remain on screen when I move on to the next segment.

5. Just like #4, except I would like to see the exterior dims.

6. Right now, my dwg is set with 3" exterior wood frame walls.  If I later on change it to cement or some other substance that is much thicker, will I be able to control it so that the widths of all the exterior walls expands outward and not inward?  Is this a one fell swoop, select all the exterior walls and make the change process?

7. Any best beginner videos (youtube, etc) that you would like to recommend?  I'm a very good hands on learner, especially with videos, which is how I am learning it now. 

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions.

Dusan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
VitalyF
in reply to: WorkingDobermann

Hi,

answer briefly...

1. Start by creating your wall styles. Styles can be applied to one or all walls

2. Use "SpaceAdd" command. Space is automatically changed with the change of walls

3. Use "AEC Dimensions Styles" to automatically track the size and position of the walls

Vitaly

Message 3 of 5

1. Try out the STRETCH command to move multiple items at once.
  2. The red circle is an error marker usually shown when trying to hatch objects. At that point the walls most likely do not meet.
  3. As Vitaly mentions use space objects.
  4. and
  5. You can either modify how the AEC dimensions act, or use standard AutoCAD dimensions.
  6. Yes this can be a one fell swoop kind of action. You can simply change the wall style. Most of the OOTB wall styles that come with ACA have the baseline of the wall at the exterior frame line. Instead of using the baseline justification you could use the right or left justification depending on how everything is drawn to make the walls grow to the outside when you change the style.
  7. Google is your friend for this one. Autodesk has some on You tube. Here is a link to Autodesk's ACA learn and explore section http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-architecture/learn-explore#?sort=score
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 4 of 5
WorkingDobermann
in reply to: VitalyF

SPACEADD - what a wondrous command! Thank you!
Message 5 of 5

Thank you very much!  I will read up on these new commands/concepts and check out the  videos. 🙂  I'm already playing with the new SPACEADD.  

Thanks guys for being so helpful to this self taught newbie!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost