AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a Space object visible in a 2d section

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
helsinki_dave
335 Views, 2 Replies

How to make a Space object visible in a 2d section

I'm really impressed how this forum has picked up in the last few years, it's great!

Has anyone come across a way to make a space object visible in a 2d section in the form of a hatching pattern?

We are using a series 'baked' space objects as an urban design tool (ie a space object is actually a suburb), but one catch of doing that - as compared to using mass objects etc, is that it seems not possible to get some kind of hatch rendering in a 2d section. Currently our thinking is to make the floor element say 100m thick, and using a material. This gives us boundary lines of each suburb in section, but no hatching.

Space objects are great for urban design, since they have more area calculations available to them and can double up on the location property (ie be located onto two objects).

Any ideas are hugely welcome.

Thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ToanDN
in reply to: helsinki_dave

Floor and ceiling of a space are hatch-able in a 2D section. You could give the ceiling height = 0 and the ceiling thickness = the intended space height so that it will hatch in a section.
Message 3 of 3

Thanks TeamSquid.

Do you think there might be a way to also hatch a 'volume' component in a space? I noticed that the floor element in section does not respond to interference conditions. So if I am using a space object in master planning - where the space represents a 'suburb' and I need to suburb to show some kind of terrain relief...then I get stuck.

Since I can create an interference whereby the space object in 3d looks like undulating terrain, but in section, this interference isn’t picked up, and the space object becomes a block.

We've laboured over this for a while, and I think it's down to the way ACA display manager reads spaces in sections. It happily represents the volume with an interference, but since a volume has no material, it can't hatch it.

Otherwise, we have a great master planning tool now (vastly superior to Revit) , but for niggly issues like this one.

Best Regards,
Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost