AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one change the default SQ. FT. suffix to SF?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
712 Views, 4 Replies

How does one change the default SQ. FT. suffix to SF?

I have architecture 2009 and am inserting room tags with the square footage. I insert a field and the the problem is the default is set to
SQ, FT, I would like the defaut to say SF. As it stands now I can edit each suffix to SF but that will take a long time. As it is a suffix there must be somewhere that the default can be edited. All the instructions that I have read talks about dimensions or tables. The is under ddatte and when one right clicks, you can insert a field that is linked to a polyline. It has suffix and prefix but there is no indication of how to change or add a default. Anyone know?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Property Set Definitions:
You need to look at the PSD that your tag is reading. There you will be able to edit the suffix.
I normally use Space Objects to do this, with a custom PSD attached to it and a tag reading the PSD.Use the multi object option and you can accomplish this very quick
I hope it helps.
Message 3 of 5
David_W_Koch

You will need a Property Data Format that has a suffix of " SF". If you never want the " SQ. FT." suffix you now have, you could edit the Property Data Format currently assigned to the property your tag is referencing and change the suffix as desired. Otherwise, you will need to create a new Property Data Format, and then edit that property and assign the new Property Data Format to it.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for the info. But alas no such luck. Perhaps I should describe what I am doing so if there is a problem then it can be pointed out to me.

I click on A and then Format and then style manager. I then see Architectural Objects, Documentation Objects, and Multi-Purpose Objects. I click on Documentation Objects and I see 2D Section/Elevation Styles, AEC Dimension Styles, Calculation Modifier Styles, Display Theme Styles, Property Data Formats, Property Set Definitions, Schedule Table Styles, Zone Styles, Zone Templates. I then click on Property Data Formats. I then click on Area Suffix and there is nothing for the suffix so I enter SF and save. When I click on text or a block and then Right click to insert a field. Another box pops up and I select Object and then pick a polyline. However I get a suffix of SQ. FT. as a default. Of course I could change the suffix under additional format from SQ. FT. to SF for each block. What I want to do is change the current default that Autocad shows which is SQ. FT. to SF. I can not believe that this is so hard to do as in the past it was easy. Could anyone tell me the procedure for changing the default. Hope this makes sense. If you want to email me: bgempp@umassd.edu
Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch

Sorry, I saw "tag" and missed "field". A Schedule Tag could be used to report the area of a polyline**, in which case the advice to create a Property Data Format with the desired suffix would have been valid. I do not use fields much, but for what it is worth, the default value I ran into just now was SQ. FT., even though the AEC uits setting was for SF. Someone else, more familiar with fields, will have to respond regarding whether you can reset that default value.

** - If you are interested, this blog post has a link to sample content, created some years back:
http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2006/06/tag-for-polyline-based-rooms.html

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost