AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden - Dashed - Phantom Line Overlap

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Libbya
1581 Views, 2 Replies

Hidden - Dashed - Phantom Line Overlap

I have noticed a fair number of display issues when using hidden, dashed or phantom lines with the AEC objects when two objects displaying the same linetype are next to each other.  When two or more lines that are of the dashed variety are on top of each other the dashes do not line up and you end up with a solid or nearly solid line that does not look as it should.  The issue is similar to what happens to hatch patterns when they are not set to 'global'.  Is there a way to set dashed linetypes to 'global' or something similar so that the spaces in the lines all line up?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Libbya

No.  Two overlapping, fully congruent lines of the same length, the same linetype and with the same entity linetype scale factor should have identical patterns and display the same as if there were only one line.  But if the lines vary in length, or are offset, or have different entity linetype scale factors, then chances are the patterns will not align and will not display as you want.  Linetypes are generated on a per-segment basis, and there is no equivalent to the "global" setting for AEC hatch components.  This is no different than what you would get with linetypes on vanilla AutoCAD objects.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Libbya
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks for the confirmation, that is what I assumed.   While the behavior may be the same as vanilla Autocad the situations that arise are not.  E.g. if making a roof plan in vanilla Autocad, I would not draw two hidden lines on top of each other where two sections of roof met.  With ACA it does so automatically and in so doing, drastically reduces the usefullness of dashed/hidden lines.  Bummer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost