AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic Property Definition

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
407 Views, 3 Replies

Graphic Property Definition

I would like to show symbols in my schedules, but can't quite figure out
how. I have figured out how to create a graphic property definition in
my Property Set Definition. I can get it to show up in my schedule at
the appropriate size. What I can't get it to do is coincide with the
data column.

For example, I would like to show a circle around the values for 'Door
Type' in my door schedule.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are hoping to have the "graphics" part of your door tag (eg, the circle) added as a graphic property and have that plus the value of the property displayed by the tag in the drawing merge together and be seen in one column (as though the tag at the door were showing in the column), you are not going to be able to do that.

I have not played around extensively with graphical properties (I tried it out, of course, but have not yet used a version with the capability on a "real" project), but I believe that the best you could do would be to have a block or image for each different tag value you need (and, I believe, if you used a block, the text value would need to be fixed text, not a variable attribute), and then assign the proper block/image to each instance of the graphical property.

If you have a relatively small number of doors, that may be doable. If all doors of a given style are the same type, then your door type property could be in a style-based property set. If graphical properties work in style-based property sets (I do not know and do not have the time to look right now), then you could set the image once, in the style, for all doors of that style, and it may not be too much of a burden, even if you have a large number of doors. So far as I know, there is no way to set up a "formula" that would pair up a given type designation with a given block/image; you would have to manually coordinate the door type designation with what the graphic property displays.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thank you David. Apparently the problem is that a graphic property
cannot be used in a formula property (or a formula column in a
schedule). Well, it "can," but it will only return the text of the
block name, not the actual symbol.

I realized the issue with using a block with attributes just before I
read your post. I really wouldn't mind making a separate block for each
door type, but I really don't want to make that many door styles. Not
only would it be inefficient to use and a lot of content to manage, but
it is almost guaranteed that the users wouldn't make the effort to use
the correct door anyway. I would need to account for somewhere around
100 door types. Maybe if we were doing full 3D on every project it
would be worth it, but not for the sole purpose of showing a circle in
the schedule...

FWIW, this is what I tried as a test:
----------
DoorType = "[Type]"

Select Case DoorType
Case "F"
DoorGraphic = [GDTCircleF]
Case "FP"
DoorGraphic = [GDTCircleFP]
Case "G"
DoorGraphic = [GDTCircleG]
Case Else
DoorGraphic = "Undefined"
End Select

If DoorGraphic = "Undefined" Then
RESULT = "Undefined"
Else
RESULT = DoorGraphic
End If
----------
This would just return the code, but if I "quoted" the GDT___
definitions (the graphic properties) it would return the appropriate text.

David_W._Koch wrote:
> If you are hoping to have the "graphics" part of your door tag (eg, the circle) added as a graphic property and have that plus the value of the property displayed by the tag in the drawing merge together and be seen in one column (as though the tag at the door were showing in the column), you are not going to be able to do that.
>
> I have not played around extensively with graphical properties (I tried it out, of course, but have not yet used a version with the capability on a "real" project), but I believe that the best you could do would be to have a block or image for each different tag value you need (and, I believe, if you used a block, the text value would need to be fixed text, not a variable attribute), and then assign the proper block/image to each instance of the graphical property.
>
> If you have a relatively small number of doors, that may be doable. If all doors of a given style are the same type, then your door type property could be in a style-based property set. If graphical properties work in style-based property sets (I do not know and do not have the time to look right now), then you could set the image once, in the style, for all doors of that style, and it may not be too much of a burden, even if you have a large number of doors. So far as I know, there is no way to set up a "formula" that would pair up a given type designation with a given block/image; you would have to manually coordinate the door type designation with what the graphic property displays.
Message 4 of 4
VaDesigner10

The ability to use graphics in the Schedule Tables would be a nice addition to upcoming versions...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost