AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic Card Help!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
howardcliu
537 Views, 5 Replies

Graphic Card Help!

Hello All,

I am trying to find a good professional graphic card to run these programs and a good to better rate.

Programs I run majority of the time is Revit (architecture/MEP), I also use Inventor and AutoCAD. Basically its the whole Building Design Suite Ultimate. I do use Navisworks also. I may or maynot use Solidworks depending on job. I am not sure if I need to worry about CUDA cores or Stream Processing power.

My budget with the graphic card is less than $500. At the same time the lower the better. many of my experience have been with Quadro Cards like 600, 2000 and 4000 and I want to try out FirePro because of the cost.

My Idea is Quadro 4000 is too expensive ($760+) for me and Quadro 2000 seems kind of weak for a $400+ card. FirePro has V4900 for about $175. I think the V4900 may perform better than the 2000 but I am not sure with these programs that I run. Another Idea is if I run dual V4900 with crossfire, would I get performance better than the 2000 and close to a 4000 or better even? I am not sure, I have searched the internet and have not come accross anything on this. Other thoughts would be to try FirePro V5900 (a bit more expensive than the 2000 at $470) but I can in the future like 2-3 years buy another V5900 and maybe get performance close or better to a Quadro 5000 at a little over half the cost.

I need some help or experience or even similar logics.

Thanks to everyone.

System specs:

Intel Quad Core i5 3330 (3.0 Ghz)

16 GB ddr3 1600

Win7 64 bit Professsional

1920 x 1080 24" LCD

128SSD & 1TB 7200rpm

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: howardcliu

What does the rest of the system look like? OS?

Message 3 of 6
howardcliu
in reply to: pendean

System specs:

Intel Quad Core i5 3330 (3.0 Ghz)

16 GB ddr3 1600

Win7 64 bit Professsional

1920 x 1080 24" LCD

128SSD & 1TB 7200rpm

Message 4 of 6
pendean

I personally have had good luck with FirePro vid cards, so I don't think you could go wrong there. As for which exact one you listed, I will leave that to others.

Message 5 of 6
ntellery

Personally I would think you would get much better return by upgrading your cpu.

The i3 is an entry level chip only.  I would think getting a higher end card would be overkill and out of balance.  Not sure on the other programs but Acad relies heavily on the cpu rather than the graphics card.  Quad is good but I think most times only 1 chip is actually working.  Rendering and regenerating in ACad is multicore but much else is not.  

i7 if your mobo can take it would be a better investment and retain your existing card or use a cheap gaming card until you can upgrade.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 6 of 6
pendean
in reply to: ntellery

i5, not i3

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost