AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass Roof

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
VaDesigner10
776 Views, 4 Replies

Glass Roof

Am attempting a simple glass roof.  Saw a post from 2007 stating to use a curtain wall and apply the tool to a roof slab.  Have tried with no success.  (Running 2011 and there does not seem to be a way to apply the CW tool to the slab.)  What am I missing?  Any other options?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
KathyMoffa
in reply to: VaDesigner10

Have you tried the Curtain Wall "ApplyTool Properties to Faces" to a roof object?   

Message 3 of 5
VaDesigner10
in reply to: KathyMoffa

And how would one do this?

Message 4 of 5
KathyMoffa

From the Design Tool Palette, right click Curtain Wall and you see the option to Apply Tool Properties to Face.    Apply it to the roof object, and it applies it to one face (kind of like one slab piece).

Message 5 of 5
ntellery

Hey that's cool Kathy.  Never tried that before.  I have played with using a CWA to create a roof frame but did the shaping manually.  This shapes right into a roof face really well. Problems I had were there doesn't seem to be any way to 'count or size' the mullions (rafters) individually for scheduling and it seems to pick either the top or bottom edge depending on which way the RO face is facing.  But that's cool I like it. 

To the OP.

I am wondering whether you are looking in plan view and the CWA doesn't show up?

A CWA is not designed to display in plan view when you are actually looking for the model view to display in plan. The way I get around this is to dive into the Display manager and down at object level I copy the model display and call it Model4Plan. Tick the box(es) that will make this DR show in what plan views you require. Then I turn all the display off so nothing from model shows up in plan view. This prevents any other CWA from showing oddly in plan view.  When you edit in plan view you should now see the Model4Plan DisplayRep show in bold as well as your normal plan view.  Check that the elements are all turned off in Model4Plan.

Then I use a Style override for the CWA style you are using for your roof light and turn on the Model4Plan elements in the style and turn on the plan view (style override).  This should now display elements as they would in a 3d or elevation view.

Sorry - a truncated description of perhaps a complex process if you are not familiar with how the DR system works.  But I use this trick also to use a CWA for a quick pergola as well.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost