AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate Roofs based on plines

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jneilon
722 Views, 9 Replies

Generate Roofs based on plines

I posted to AutoCAD forum not realizing there is a seperate AutoCAD architecture forum. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2012/Generate-Roofs-based-on-plines/m-p/3730878/highlight/fals...  

Same post below:

Is there a way to generate a roof based from plines? Like this but without tracing? I need to generate multiple roofs at once with the same slope ect.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
KathyMoffa
in reply to: jneilon

On the Design Palette, Right Click Roof and you will see the option to Apply Tool Properties to linework and walls.  You cannot, however, create multiple roofs from multiple closed polylines with one execution of this command.  You will need to repeat the process for each closed polyline in your drawing.

Message 3 of 10
salexandrow
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Yes, KathyMoffa ,

I think you are right . one can select any group of wall and/or polylines.

roof would be created on the outer contour of any of this elements :

roof height would be get "electrically" from the wall height.

PS:

maybe it  is a little bit "secret" roof feaure   

Message 4 of 10
jneilon
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Kathy,

Thanks this is what I was looking for. I just need to figure out how to automate multiple lines now. 

Message 5 of 10
jneilon

Any idea if the Roofadd and RoofToolToLinework function can be scripted? I am not finding any info on these.

Message 6 of 10
hmsilva

jneilon,
after some testing I came to this code.
constraints:
a) polylines must be lwpolylines, if they are heavy polylines use the "convertpoly" command to convert the polylines into
Light (lwpolylines) before you run the code.

b) minimally tested.

Hope that helps,

Henrique

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
dbroad
in reply to: hmsilva

I explained the same thing in the AutoCAD forum with no response.

To OP, for customization, visit the AutoCAD Architecture Customization newsgroup.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 8 of 10
hmsilva
in reply to: dbroad

dbroad wrote:

I explained the same thing in the AutoCAD forum with no response

I did read what do you wrote in the AutoCAD forum, notice that I usually don't use use AutoCAD Architecture, and I was helping the OP with a small routine that generated rectangular roofs, after he could join the roofs with the command "union", getting the roofs he wanted.

When I started trying to use the command "RoofToolToLinework" from AutoCAD Architecture, I realized that the command only accept Lwpolylines, as you said, but I did not like the the final result, so I used the command "RoofAdd" and I realized that it would be easier to scale all entities to mm, as you said, than configure all the roof elements to meters, in the end, I used the lwpolylines in my code, because it was already too tired and very lazy, to write a few more lines of code and include the heavy polylines object it...

Cheers

Henrique

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
jneilon
in reply to: hmsilva

Thanks Henrique,

This works exactly how I need it to work. Thanks for all your help. 

dbroad I thought I did respond to you. Your right the lines were meters not milimeters and I did need to convert to light polylines using the convert poly command. Thanks.

Message 10 of 10
hmsilva

You're welcome, jneilon

Henrique

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost